Opel TID Display

It's not powerful, but at least it likes to rev, and that 3-cylinder configuration gives it a nice sound.

God, I can't wait for my Arduino to arrive, I really want to make this TID+MPGuino thing work.

Thanks for posting, I was looking at doing some mods to my MKIV (G) Astra and came across this.

Will this work for a mega adk?

However the Haynes Manual (UK service book maker) Has the pins as 9, 10,11, (8?) and 12 as (as previously noted) the road speed signal but the Haynes diagram is for the Multi display (I am a TID user swell!).

I haven't had my TID out since a painted my dash so I have a question.

Does the MID & TID have the same connector and pin count?

Also how hard would it be to also used an OLED display (Adafruit unit) with the TID?

No, TID and MID don't have same pinout. Even connector is different. Road speed can be picked up somewhere near instument panel/speedo.

Does the MID & TID have the same connector and pin count?

i don't know about the MID, but if you need the pinout for the TID here is a good link:
TID page

Will this work for a mega adk?

i tested it with an old mega board and compiled for arduino 1.x, i can't think of any reason why it shouldn't work with the adk

Giovanni83:
i tested it with an old mega board and compiled for arduino 1.x, i can't think of any reason why it shouldn't work with the adk

I'm glad you said that as i'm using a maga adk and 1.+ process.

Thanks,just need to get a spare display to play with.

Your link doesn't work.

Your link doesn't work.

sorry, fixed.

Can you post Pictures of your setup and connections please?

i'm afraid a picture wouldn't be of much help, but here is how i connected the tid to my mega

tid connector pin

1 -> +12 V
2 -> disconnected
3 -> ground
4 -> disconnected
5 -> disconnected (i tried this to +12 but the tid goes off... even if it shouldn't)
6 -> disconnected
7 -> disconnected
8 -> +12 V
9 -> pin 5 on my mega
10 -> pin 6 on my mega
11 -> pin 7 on my mega
12 -> disconnected

worth to mention that connections for 9,10,11 needs to be configured when including the library into your project (see tid.h)

Strange dunno why it's doing that.
And the mega works fine with the coms lines!
Ok something I came across on a car forum is that, some hoe the display is able to retrieve error codes from the edu.
Is it possible to get the arduino to both read and write on the i2c bus?

while inside my car, i could press both buttons of my display and after a while it would show me the speed and then show a "test screen" with all characters lit. Once removed from the car, connected as i told in the post above and powered up, doing the same operation made all stored fault codes appear in sequence. I'm not sure why this doesn't happen when mounted inside the veichle, nor if those codes can be retrieved from the tid, all i know is that read operations on i2c bus need a 1 after the address, so in this case the address byte becomes 0x95

Thanks for the OpelTID library
Unfortunately I’ve tried to use it, but it's not working.

I'm using the following code, and the only thing I see is sometimes a CD symbol : #include <TID.h>TID mydisplay(3,4,5);void setup(){}void loop() - Pastebin.com
I can change the symbol by changing the the value of i
But I'm not seeing any text.

I'm using a UNO R3 and i've tried 2 TID.
What I’m doing wrong ?

Roel

roelke:
Thanks for the OpelTID library
Unfortunately I’ve tried to use it, but it's not working.

I'm using the following code, and the only thing I see is sometimes a CD symbol : #include <TID.h>TID mydisplay(3,4,5);void setup(){}void loop() - Pastebin.com
I can change the symbol by changing the the value of i
But I'm not seeing any text.

I'm using a UNO R3 and i've tried 2 TID.
What I’m doing wrong ?

Roel

A cd symbol?

Please post pics of you setup? my TID has no cd symbol.

Roelke, which Opel do you have?

@AJB2K3 The 10 symbols on the top of the display.
I will make some pictures tomorrow.

@bobale It's a Opel Astra F 1.4 build in 1994.

Were working on the Astra G/corsa C/ Vectra C version.

Have you tried

As I already noticed in my first post, i'm using the OpelTID library.
I'm using offcourse the 1.1 version.

taking for granted that you have already checked your connections throughly, first thing you should try is changing the string from "hello" to "HELLO" since the display can't display lowercase characters XD. Another curios thing about this display is that every minute the screen is cleared of all symbols and characters (this is done by the display itself, not by my library, and i don't know if it's possible to avoid this), so since your sketch includes a 2s delay, the only symbol shown goes away for up to 2 seconds from time to time. BTW, all other symbols are working too? if you assign i=1 you see the dolby c and so on?

hope this was helpful

Giovanni83, Can I ask you an odd question?

Whats the IC numbers in you clock as I can't find any info of the chip in mine?

Whats the IC numbers in you clock as I can't find any info of the chip in mine?

the main ic is a ST6 microcontroller, from what i gathered here it's a ST6240B that is factory-programmed, so the number on the chip (ST624306/A2) shows nothing when searching for datasheet.

Interesting, mine reads
40376-00
980 P1B65004PJ
F21-33A5EEW