Chinese Pcb Manufacturer Reccomendation.

JoeN:
That looks nice. What CAD package did you use? I am going to have to teach myself a CAD package because I am getting mighty tired of soldering wires on pad-per-hole boards, which is how I do it now. If turnaround is 7 days on these things, I think I am going to do a project that I am planning in a month on a professional board like this.

I don't see a way to automatically send them the Gerbers and make an order on their site. A lot of shops have completely automated systems these days.

My first post here as I am just getting into Arduino, but I have designed a few boards. My favorite PCB CAD package for the the hobbyist/small-medium business user so far has to be DipTrace. It's not perfect but it's powerful and very intuitive to learn. I tried Eagle and a few others, this one was by far the easiest to go from knowing nothing to making boards. Just follow the included tutorial (its actually REALLY good). The number of good points is almost too long to list. Things like intuitive interface, easy to use, auto-router (which actually I seldom use but its good for beginners), 3D rendering of the board, logical fair pricing*, etc.

The biggest drawback that I have seen is their libraries. They are organized kind of weird, the library search function (which is a bit odd to use at first) really helps. From the interactions I have seen on their forum and via their reps on other forums (yes the developers actually read the forums and respond to users feature requests and bug reports), it seems they are starting to tackle that issue. They have started making more standard general libraries like (before things were grouped more by manufacturer). Making your own component libraries is about as simple and logical as you can get. I have made several dozen custom parts and many take almost no time at all. It's about as easy as making a PCB layout.

*They have both non-profit versions and for-profit versions. Their limitations between versions are based on number of pins and signal layers (not including ground and power planes which you can make unlimited of), unlike others which limit based on board size. So if you have a 1meter by 1meter board with just 10leds and a battery its fine. For the hobbyist, they have a free Non-profit version that allows two layers and 500 pins (my last project had 48 pins, an arduino board has well under 500 pins I think). Their definition of non-profit says you can't make a profit but selling a few boards for your hobby is OK.