Go Down

Topic: Star Trek TNG Phaser main Electronics (Read 942 times) previous topic - next topic

PaulRB

Aug 08, 2017, 01:22 pm Last Edit: Aug 08, 2017, 01:22 pm by PaulRB
Yes, you can use the analog input pins as digital output pins to drive leds. But digital pins 0 & 1 are used for sketch upload and serial monitor, so avoid using them if you can. Won't you also need some pins for buttons (up, down, fire)?

PaulRB

I'm gonna use the toy Soundboard to do the phaser fire sounds and light the light buld (will replace with amber 5mm LED soon) while the arudino contains the beep for the power level up.
How will you do that? Does it have some input connections, so you can select which sounds to play?

If that works, the Arduino will not need to make the sound effects (except beeping), so you can use multiplexing to light your 16 LEDs using 8 pins, or as few as 5 pins (charlieplexing).

Captain_Alexander

How will you do that? Does it have some input connections, so you can select which sounds to play?

If that works, the Arduino will not need to make the sound effects (except beeping), so you can use multiplexing to light your 16 LEDs using 8 pins, or as few as 5 pins (charlieplexing).
yes with the sound board I must hot wire to the corrsponding led like yellow to green is the first sound of a short fire and the reds will play the weird disruptor sound (unless I build a arduino code to fire a new mini disrupter sound)

so how I can multiplex pins 2-9 to make one line of leds lit then the second line to be lit? that's gonna be a challenge to do so and use analog pins a the button circuits to light the LEDs

I'm gonna use push momentary buttons so that means I click turn on the leds by sequence and down by the other one, and program in a diagnostic mode to it by holding it for about 4 seconds.

PaulRB

Stop stalling. Tell us what you know about the sound board. Post pics.

Captain_Alexander

Aug 10, 2017, 08:12 am Last Edit: Aug 11, 2017, 01:21 am by Captain_Alexander
Stop stalling. Tell us what you know about the sound board. Post pics.
There's this switch - other then the speaker and this is how it switches over the sounds
https://goo.gl/hWLS4H

now here's the board (on another photo)
https://goo.gl/t7ujxc - it's this switch that controls the two sounds it has and it also controls the light too when pressing the fire button.

PaulRB

Can't view the second picture. It is important to see the board.

Attach your images to your post, not some other site.

But I think you will need one, two, or three Arduino pins to control the board. You will not be using the same pins to control the board as you use to light the LEDs.

Captain_Alexander

Aug 11, 2017, 01:25 am Last Edit: Aug 11, 2017, 04:22 am by Captain_Alexander
I can link the photos from the first page and this post link

- the switch that controls the sounds and grill like display passes sound from speaker to pass through

- the main board that controls the light and sounds

PaulRB

Can you take better pics? Close-up, well-focused and well-lit? Both sides of the board. It's very hard to see what's connected to what right now.

Captain_Alexander

Here's the underside of the board

and a close up of the top board - this controls the light

PaulRB

Ok, well... It's quite a mess. Geordie would not have approved.

The main problem I can see is that the buttons that control which sound effect is made won't work as "power up/down" buttons. If you press "power up" more than once, the circuit cannot tell that this has happened. When you press "power up" the first time, the spdt switch moves to the corresponding position. If you press "power up" a second time, nothing happens because the spdt switch has already moved. Do you understand what I am saying? Do you have a plan to fix this?

Captain_Alexander

Aug 13, 2017, 12:17 am Last Edit: Aug 13, 2017, 03:45 am by Captain_Alexander
Ok, well... It's quite a mess. Geordie would not have approved.

The main problem I can see is that the buttons that control which sound effect is made won't work as "power up/down" buttons. If you press "power up" more than once, the circuit cannot tell that this has happened. When you press "power up" the first time, the spdt switch moves to the corresponding position. If you press "power up" a second time, nothing happens because the spdt switch has already moved. Do you understand what I am saying? Do you have a plan to fix this?
I'm just gonna hot wire the sound that I need unless use the arudino to play a tone at pin 13 and just use the sound board to light up the LED (changing it to a super bright 5mm red one) and fire the Stun sound only.

the way how playmates put that switch is three wires so if it's on the right of the 2nd button

like this if the switch on the left it play sound 2 and if it's on the right it plays sound 1

left uses white and brown wires while on the right of the switch uses blue and brown.

the way I'm doing it is removing the switch and replace the switch with momentary pushbuttons so each button powers the display up or down. like left goes up and right goes down (like the real TV show prop)

PaulRB

Ok. First you should draw a schematic showing all the components. Hand drawn on paper is ok.

Then you should build the whole circuit on breadboard for testing.

Captain_Alexander

as far I can do is use this but can't get it in fritzing for the schematic view right as it's gonna be a jumbled mess

I could try doing breadboard shot if that can help - I just need to multiplex 16 leds to become the power display

https://youtu.be/fEZ3hKYNJEo?t=1m24s - here's a video of one user did to make their on power display it shows the main soundboard (as a redboard) in conjuction with the arudino's prototype for his display.

PaulRB

If you do it well, the Fritzing schematic view will be better and clearer than the breadboard view. In a schematic view, you don't have to follow the physical layout, you can move things around so that they are less jumbled. It also helps if you use the GND and Vbat symbols everywhere you need them so you don't have to have wires for them.

Captain_Alexander

How do I show the multiplexed LEDS within' the Arudino Uno (used for mini if I can use it instead) and work on a way to get it with NPN and stuff I may have to get a LED Driver chip to control all 16 Leds in a line.

Go Up