Displays...

Hi,

I´m looking for a big graphic display (around 3'') with a wide temperature operation. It has to be Sunlight Readable. It will be in a bike.
I´m thinking in a 4D System or GLDC (KS0108 or T6963). I would like something with controller,because I would like to control with Mega.

¿Any recommendation? I´ve looking CrystalFonz displays...
If it´s possible with color feature, it´ll be fantastic...

Thank you

Regards,

Igor R.

Also I´ve found eDIP => LCD OLED TFT Display Module for industry and medicine, automotive

Have someone use it?

According to this Mouser page, those things are 300 dollars: http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=790-EDIPTFT43-A

Have you had a look at the LiquidWare TouchShield Slide: http://www.liquidware.com/shop/show/TSL/TouchShield+Slide

Exist others cheaper, it depends of the model...

I´m not sure that a TFT or Oled will be sunlight redeable...When I try to see something in my PDA outside, it´s difficult...

It will be fitted on a motorbike... I need something redeable with high bright, wide temperature range and the electronic inside must resist vibrations.

Graphics LDC are the best in price... for sure....But nowadays are quite "retro" design.....je,je,je :smiley:

OLED is sun readable.

And what about life of this technologies? Because I´ve read that Oled are 20k hours...

Are you expecting to run your bike for that many hours? If you average 25 miles per hour you would be able to travel a distance greater then that to the moon and back before you used up the 20k hours.

It used to be that the blue's had a life of about 20k hours but nowadays the blue is more like 40k hours and the other colours much higher. It depends if you go for a decent display or not... Depends on price a little bit.

Anyway, what's wrong with a dot graphic display? who doesn't like a bit of retro? :sunglasses:

For temperature you could just use a 20x4 display and use some 4 line text for BIG NUMBERS...

Mowcius

Mem,You don´t have to think only in application with the motorbike in movement....
There are 2'3 years...
You imagine that the display of your car break down in 5 years .... :wink:

It´s not to show temperature... I need that the display works in a wide range of temperature... like -20 to 80ºC.

The application will be like an onboard computer.... :wink:

Of course, with a gldc an a little of design could be something cool

You imagine that the display of your car break down in 5 years ....

20k operating hours in my car would take 60 years :wink:

Anyway, if you do decide to go retro, I have a nice GLCD library for you to use: Arduino Playground - GLCDks0108 :slight_smile:

Thank you mem.
But I´m asking more about models, types, where to buy, experiences, ....

I need a big one display (more than 3'')

Regards,

For temperature you could just use a 20x4 display and use some 4 line text for BIG NUMBERS...

Oh, sorry, misread the post,

sounds like a cool project,

Mowcius

I need that the display works in a wide range of temperature... like -20 to 80ºC.

Normal commercial electronics is only specked for 0 to 70C. Going outside these ranges costs you a lot more. A military specified display is going to cost about 5 to 10 times more than a commercial display.

I´ve found CrytalFontz which has -20 to 70ºC.
With T6963 controller and 160x128 (101 x 82 mm).
It seems good!!

Any experience with this company? Another similar?

One easy question:

How can I calculate the space require to store a bitmap in a dot graphic display?

For example, if I have a display of 128x64 dots

Kind Regards,

Igor R.

total bytes equals width times height times bits per pixel divided by 8

128 x 64 with 8 bits (1 byte) per pixel is 8k bytes

Thank you mem!!!

Anyone knows which is the LCD and touch used in LCDash project? (Megasquirt)

It´s a T6963. I´m asking about where I can buy it.

http://lcdash.wikispaces.com/LCD
http://lcdash.wikispaces.com/touchscreen

Regards,

:wink:

Why 8 bits per pixel if this is a monochrome display?

In the first post the OP said he would ideally like a color display if possible