Feasability guidance needed - Arduino as passthrough Wifi adapter for video

what I want to do is have a custom video camera over wifi, similar to a standard wireless IP Camera. I know the arduino isn't going to be fast enough to handle the actual compression of video from the camera. What I need to figure out is if I were to use a DSP to first do all of the video processing and compression, would the arduino be fast enough to handle the communication to send the video over an attached wifi shield.

I haven't done a lot of work yet with DSPs, so any guidance on if this would be possible, and any suggestions on getting the video output from the DSP to be sent over wifi, would be extremely helpful.

I'm thinking video in either the 720x480 or 1280x720 range, but more important than resolution i need a full 27-30 FPS displayed on the receiving computer.

In the end this would work very much like an IP camera, but I would like to use the arduino to allow me to communicate back and forth with some other attached sensors and devices. Mostly small motors for adjusting picture and such.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks everyone,
Jon

Hard to imagine any way for the video stream itself to go through the Arduino, but I imagine you could use a WiFi camera and just use the Arduino to position and control it. Google shows that there are various WiFi enabled web cams around, and quite a few of them have motorised mounts, so it may even be that you can find something off the shelf to do what you want. Making your own would be far more rewarding, of course.

would the arduino be fast enough to handle the communication to send the video over an attached wifi shield.

No.