duinoCase-A - High Quality Metal Case for the Arduino

We've got our popular duinoCase-A on sale now through New Years! Put your Arduino project into a high-quality metal case!

The duinoCase-A is designed to hold a standard Arduino board, and one shield. There is a knock-out specifically designed for the Ethernet Shield to allow for easy adding of Ethernet communications. The base is slotted for wall mounting. Includes stick-on rubber feet, and case and board mounting screws. The enclosure is made from common 18 gauge cold rolled A366/1008 mild steel, with a semi-gloss textured "Arduino Green" coating. Dimensions of the enclosure are (approx.) 4.1" L x 2.5" W x 1.75" H

Finally, a proper case! Nicely done! Looks solid, and can probably be run over by a truck without any problems.

Do you have the ability to "ground" the case? (I have a project and it was randomly locking up/freezing after running for several hours if I touch it after walking on carpet or generating static electricity. Solved it by grounding the case.)

some ideas:
A knock-out at the top for some LCD shield?
A knock-out at the back for sensor cables?

Yes ... we are using them ourselves on some commercial products, and didn't want to use a cheap plastic case.

You suggestion on grounding is a good one, we don't currently have a specific grounding screw on the case. You could easily drill a hole and use your own screw. Do you have more details on how you would want to see this if we incorporated into a newer version of the case?

vasquo:
Finally, a proper case! Nicely done! Looks solid, and can probably be run over by a truck without any problems.

Do you have the ability to "ground" the case? (I have a project and it was randomly locking up/freezing after running for several hours if I touch it after walking on carpet or generating static electricity. Solved it by grounding the case.)

I like these, and we have had similar requests.

1. My question about the LCD Shield ... which one? :slight_smile:

2. We also have a new application with one of our products, and are going to create a "rear knock-out" or opening. We also might redesign with front and rear removable plates. What kind of cable opening would you want to see?

robtillaart:
some ideas:
A knock-out at the top for some LCD shield?
A knock-out at the back for sensor cables?

I would say allow for an RJ45 connector (or 2) at the back, that means all manner of sensors and networks can enter with no externally visible wiring.

Rob

I am looking at adding a removable back-plate to the case, and if I do then I could offer a variety of different connectors. RJ45 could work for some applications (low voltage/current), are you thinking that they would be mounted to the back plate with pigtails inside the case to be attached to various pins or a shield?

This is the idea we are looking at where we might be switching a wide range of voltages/currents with some relays.

Graynomad:
I would say allow for an RJ45 connector (or 2) at the back, that means all manner of sensors and networks can enter with no externally visible wiring.

Rob

I don't think it's viable to provide for a specific connector(s) to be mounted directly onto the enclosure, there are too many options. I was suggesting a hole large enough to pass an RJ45 but leave where it goes up to the user.

Such a hole would probably also pass an IDC ribbon cable connector up to about 16 pins so maybe make it a bit larger to allow 26 or 34. Remember it doesn't have to go through square, you can sort of fold it back on the cable to make it smaller.

On the other side you have a similar problem because there are so many different LCDs, but it's worse because it has to look good unless you use bezels. Maybe try to find a hole size that matches several common displays (if there is such a thing as "common displays").

All the above could be handled with removable back/side/top plates as you say, there's just more tooling and inventory to hold and before long you don't have a box at all but a framework on which you hang plates :slight_smile:

IMO finding the right enclosure is one of the hardest parts of a project and that may explain why most boards these days are just open, they leave that job up to the user.

Rob

I do agree! :slight_smile:

These cases were originally made for our own products, and some people saw them and asked if we would make them available to anyone. That is really what we have done, and are now planning our second round of customizations for our product, and hoping that some of these could be "general purpose" enough for some of the community.

Graynomad:
IMO finding the right enclosure is one of the hardest parts of a project and that may explain why most boards these days are just open, they leave that job up to the user.

Rob

Looks really good, do you have any plans to sell them in the UK? Doesn't look like amazon will ship here. I would be after about 6 of them.

Cheers
Keith

Hello,

I have shipped numerous to the EU. I usually use USPS, and can ship 4 in a flat rate box for $24. I can give you a $5/case discount for 4 or more that you order.

You can order through our site at: http://www.duinocases.com and pay via PayPal, then I can let you know the additional shipping that you might have to provide.

Scott

Hello,

I wanted to announce that we are now shipping the new v2 duinoCase-A commercial/military grade enclosure for the Arduino Uno. This new version has been updated to include feedback from our commercial customers.

It is the same high-quality steel case, with new removable front and rear panels, and new base plate holes for our optional DIN Rail mount kit.

We're running a introductory sale price through the end of the month: $29.95

We have also had requests for a similar enclosure to be created for the Arduino Mega ... and we want to see if there is interest. None of our commercial customers are using the Mega yet, but we're open if the community shows support!

As always we're open to feedback!

Scott

Humancell:
As always we're open to feedback!

Product announcements belong here.

Ha ... sorry. Thanks ... I don't know how I didn't find this thread on my search ... thanks for the fix!