Two Arduino connected via wifi shield?

Hey,

One of my university modules (experiential design) involves creating an interactive system with Arduino. A concept I currently have would be set up as followed:

Arduino ONE:
Wifi Shield
Mic
LED Matrix

Arduino TWO:
Wifi Shield
Mic
LED Matrix

Arduino ONE would INPUT sound via mic and OUTPUT via the LED Matrix of Arduino TWO - This would work vice-versa with both units as a form of ambient communication.

I was wondering if anyone could help me by pointing me in the right direction to setting up two wifi linked/networked Arduino's.

Would this involve having a webpage where the data is uploaded and downloaded and each Arduino points to this page?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nathan :slight_smile:

I don't think the Arduino WiFi Shield supports AdHoc mode so both shields will have to connect to the same WiFi network. If you want your system to be portable you can bring a cheap WiFi router with you yo create the network.

The examples cover Web Server and Web Client but for simpler protocols (like Chat) they only demonstrate the Server side.

One issue you might run across is that server.available() will only return a client if that client has sent data. You should have your client side send a request for more data as soon as it is done processing the previous data.

Also apparently some wifi shields can only obtain an IP address via DHCP, which might cause varying addressing issues for servers.