CAN Bus architecture using Arduino

Hi

Sorry if this thread is repetitive, but I would like to know if there are any automotive project that uses most of the parts with Arduino.
Currently, I do own an Arduino Uno, CAN BUS shield by Sparkfun and MinIMU9-v5. I am able to get readings from MinIMU and im able to send and receive sample CAN message, but I do not know how to use the readings I have from MinIMU and convert it into CAN message. Appreciate if someone could enlighten me on this. Thank you.

Unfortunately, the arduino has an ATmel processor that ATmel says is NOT rated for automotive use.

The ATmega328P does not seem to be listed in ATmel's list of "Automotive Solutions uProcessors"

Automotive AVR solutions available in Grade 0 are the:

Atmel ATtiny45,
ATtiny87/167,
ATtiny261/ 461/861,
ATmega88/168,
ATmega16M1,
ATmega32M1,
ATmega32C1,
ATmega64M1,
and
ATmega64C1.

See if you can find any reference to the ATmega328 here

@raschemmel
You probably misunderstood the question.

So, you are going to read the accelerometer with the Arduino and send the data over CAN Bus... Who's going to receive the data? Does it need to be in a specific format?

I though ght the OP was saying he can't uderstand the IMU responses. (he doesn't speak IMU).
Did I misunderstand that ?

1. Atmega328P-15MZ and -15AZ are automotive rated.
    http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/integrated-circuits-ics/embedded-microcontrollers/2556109?k=atmega328&k=&pkeyword=atmega328&pv252=735&FV=fff40027%2Cfff800cd&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&stock=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

2. Who is receiving the Arduino-generated CAN Bus message(s)?

16 MHz, 2.7 to 5.5V, ATmega328P-15AZ, MA package, Automotive (–40°C to +125°C) (leadless)
16MHz, 2.7 to 5.5V, ATmega328P-15MZ, PN package, Automotive (–40°C to +125°C) (TQFP)

http://www.atmel.com/images/atmel-7810-automotive-microcontrollers-atmega328p_datasheet.pdf

I take it you want to obtain accelerometer readings and send them somewhere else..... where??

CANBUS is a RS485ish based data transfer multidrop system used in vehicles , and has a complex protocol which you may read...

so on the vehicle's bus there's a load of stuff going on. Using a lot of it's bandwidth.

If you want to slot your data stream along with all this it'll be a tricky and time-consuming job . And will not be possible without access to the the bus master's code - to which you don't..

perhaps you could clarify exactly what you're trying to do....

regards

Allan