Using Arduino Leonardo as MIDI device

Hello everyone

Is it possible, to use the Arduino Leonardo out-of-the-box as a MIDI device?
I can see, that the Leonardo has built-in USB communication, and a built-in feature of behaving as a USB-HID device.
Doesn't that mean, that it can appear as a MIDI device as well, without the need to flash the firmware, like I have to with the UNO?

I've already succesfully turned my Uno rev3 into a MIDI-device with the HIDUINO firmware, but I'm wondering if this could be achieved easier with the Leonardo board?

I don't think anyone has written a MIDI library for the Leonardo yet.

Could you use the Serial to Midi Program?

http://spikenzielabs.com/SpikenzieLabs/Serial_MIDI.html

#Johnwasser Okay, too bad
#Thot, No it has to act as a real MIDI-device, since I'm planning to use it with an iPad, but thanks anyway :slight_smile:

There isn't a way to control the midi protocol from arduino leonardo without using any program that does to MIDI converter SERIAL?

bjtliveset:
There isn't a way to control the midi protocol from arduino leonardo without using any program that does to MIDI converter SERIAL?

You should be able to emulate a USB MIDI device with the Leonardo but unless you can find someone who has done it already you will be the first and therefore will have to do it all yourself.

Here is a document to get you started:

http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/midi10.pdf

Thanks john. I will begin to study this document.

Any news? I would like to let Leonardo be recognized as HID (MIDI) device.

Hansibassi:
I've already succesfully turned my Uno rev3 into a MIDI-device with the HIDUINO firmware, but I'm wondering if this could be achieved easier with the Leonardo board?

No, it would be harder.

If you want an out of the box MIDI device that is Arduino compatible, Teensy (2.0, ++, and 3.0) have native MIDI-over-USB.

Moco released the 32u4 version.

This is kind of frustrating. I wish I knew more about the Leonardo HID architecture. Someone already listed the spec above on USB MIDI and it's actually pretty straightforward. The problem is that HID functions don't seem to be easy to get at without some serious hacking. I don't know where I'd begin on this. It seems pretty easy to send HID data (HID_SendReport) but not so easy to register a device... Is anyone on the development team working on this? Seeing as there's already Keyboard and Mouse implemented, it probably wouldn't be a huge project for someone who already understands how to set up an HID driver/register an HID device...? Anyone want to post a little information with where one might try to start on this?

Hi There!

I have had exactly the same problem for the last two days with an arduino leonardo. Very frustrating. But finally I found a solution:
1.) I am using the program Hairless (http://projectgus.github.com/hairless-midiserial/)
---it convers Serial to midi output
2.) In addition I use LoopBee1 (Download LoopBe1 (a german site, but You propably can find it on an english one too))
---this software turns midi output from one program into a "real" midi device, wich can feed any other program with real midi.

both are totally free softwares.

I hope this helps as much as it helped me,
Daylen