Developing an ASCII serial console on LCD

Thanks Paul. I haven't checked out 1.0 IDE yet :blush: I'm on 0022. What I want is a real dummy terminal that relays every key press to the serial port, including tab, and back space or even ctrl. Remember the old-school BBS system? I want to do that on this tiny screen, maybe using escape sequence to attach to my phi_prompt library so if the host (arduino/main frame) sents out \esc yn_dialog "Destroy stupidity?" \n then the terminal (arduino + Phi-2 shield) will show a yes/no dialog and prompts the user to choose an answer and relays back to host so the host just needs 2 I/O lines to use screen, keys, and all possible and expandable interactive functions via escape sequence.

BTW, I tried

realterm - crashed and burnt on vista 64bit
termite - too simple not relaying every key press but like Arduino IDE serial monitor (ie, you press enter and it relays everything in a bunch, no back spaces or else)
Tera Term - will try in the afternoon thanks cr0sh
putty - heard of it will try afternoon thanks bubulindo

Rob, that is nice find. I believe either you or someone else linked to that uVGA a while ago. I want to do something similar but less awesome. On the other hand, mine will have onboard display and some keys and possibly a ps/2 for key board in the future. This pad I envision will be plugged in an arduino project and provide input (key pad and choices via TUI) and output (LCD, LED indicators, and buzzer) in one package and consumes 2 I/O lines only, wouldn't that be nice?

I'll start working on escape sequence. Anyone with old-school BBS experience or other ASCII terminals with escape sequence experience give me a pointer please! I want to make the escape sequence as close to any historically significant system as possible. One is to get their blessings from their holy graves, two is if that scenario has been used then probably someone straightened out most kinks already. :astonished: :grin: