Possible Cigar Humidor Project

Ok so...
I'm in NO WAY qualified to try such a project... but here's what I want to do...

I want to find a way to monitor the water level in the water reservoir container inside my humidor.
If the water level drops below a certain level I want to pump new water into it from an external container.

Since the monitored container will be inside my humidor, and my humidor needs to to maintain a goodSeal, the sensor(s) and water tube need to be as small (thin) a package as possible to
avoid drilling a huge hole in the humidor.

The container I want to monitor and refil is a "Cigar Oasis XL Plus" (http://bit.ly/12X134A)
The dimensions of the water chamber is (roughly) 6" long x 2" wide x 3" high ... so there’s not a ton of room to work with in there.

And since I don't want to ruin all the cigars... the hole that will be no doubt be drilled into the "Cigar Oasis" needs to be rigged up such that it’s not going to leak.

Again, I'm NOT qualified to do this.
I've soldered things before, but don't really play with electronics much.
I have some basic programing skills, but not with C.
But I DO want to find a way to stop ruining my cigars. :slight_smile:

If anyone has any suggestions (or wants to be involved) I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks folks!

If you search in the upper right for Humidor you get several threads of people working on humidors too.
You can ask them to post schemas and code if they aren't posted yet.

Thanks!
Yeah I saw those, some cool stuff!
Mostly (from what I could find) they were reading humidity and temp, but still pretty cool.

Being a noob to this tech, and to this forum I may have posted this the wrong section.
If so - sorry.
Though I will say that if anyone thinks this sounds like fun and wants to take on the project I'm open to a gig as well.
Only items around that process would be.

1. This is a cool/fun idea to me not a commercial venture so keep that in mind when pricing it. :slight_smile:
  2. I would like to learn a bit so I'd probably be asking questions and being annoying. :wink:

First thing to learn is how to program an Arduino.
IN a 2nd step make temp and humidity measurements (monitoring only).
In a 3nd step you add alarms to it, too high too low hum or temp.
In a 4rd step you add controlling waterflows fans etc.

Step 1: go through the tutorial section and check out how to program the Arduino and just make small steps.
Try to understand how the language works and how to achieve basic functions.