[MOD] Arduino Enhanced Release 1.0.5 for Windows (installer, drivers, etc) +SRC

Thanks for the quick update. :slight_smile:

Now, just add some code folding like code blocks does... :smiley:

Lakes:

I think code folding is not possible... without MAJOR overhouling and/or massive donations $)

Hehe ok. :slight_smile:

KickStarter Project? :smiley:

Lakes:

And eclipse and visual micro and many others

Best regards
Jantje

Jantje:

Lakes:

And eclipse and visual micro and many others

Best regards
Jantje

I don't quite undestand the utility of the folding code blocks anyway. I prefer just intellisense. I mean, it makes sense for me in Visual Studio in the designer section for example, or some pinvoke definitions, but in arduino? just make couple of tabs, one with the setup, other with the loop.

I will think about intellisense first if one day I want to start to make major changes in the IDE.

eried:
I don't quite understand the utility of the folding code blocks anyway. I prefer just intellisense.

I prefer intellisense to code folding to. I use intellisense on a daily basis and I only activated code folding in C++ last week. But it are 2 different things and sometimes folding is handy. For instance to get a better understanding of a function that has grown to large and needs refactoring. This example can not be worked around with multiple tabs as you propose.

For me; a professional IDE should support both. I say professional IDE because there are very good reasons of existing for non-professional IDE's. I believe that the Arduino IDE is a great example of non-professional IDE with great value.
In many discussion about bugs and new features in the Arduino area the discussion is about "Can we add this added value without adding (to much) complexity for the user?". These are very valid discussion for the Arduino IDE that explicitly does not position itself as a professional IDE. In a professional IDE the discussions should be "How to best add this added value"

begin of rant
I do not advice everyone to use a professional IDE. You should use a tool that fits your need. My advice is to start with the Arduino IDE "as is". When you start to feel the limitations; look at the alternatives. If you have no professional software development background and do not wish to go there: use the arduino IDE with mods or go to an external editor.
If you have a professional software development background or wish to go there: go for a professional IDE that has good support for the arduino environment.
End of rant

From a practical point of view:I have never implemented code folding nor intellisense. I think however that folding was available before intellisense so my guess would be that folding is easier to implement than intellisense.

Best regards
Jantje

PS Note that in eclipse you also have the outline view which resembles the code in folded format which takes away quite a bit of the added value of code folding. (I guess visual studio has something similar)

Edit:

I don't think if an ide is "Pro" or not is the right discussion.

The questions, for me, are :-

How simple and well integrated is the Arduino plugin?
Is it really easy to setup?
Stable to use?
Does it provide the same features as the Arduino?
Does it provide double click drill down into compiler errors?
Support multiple pde/ino files?

In short does it do the things the Arduino IDE does and does it do them in the same simple way?

This is what the Visual Studio plugin is designed to do/be. It reduces project development time enormously.

Im not a "Pro" just someone who tinkers with stuff until Im happy that it does what I want.

Ive tried Elcipse with the plugin as its a fairly uncomplicated interface and it has a built-in serial monitor, but I couldnt get the indexing thing to work, so its gives me errors on a simple serial sketch

Visual Studio maybe be ok for Pros, but the interface looks too complicated for me and Im reluctant to install anymore MS "bloatware" than I really need to.

I really like the look of codeblocks, as its very similar to something I`ve used before and it has the code folding function.
I might give that a try to see how it goes (when I have some time), no built-in serial monitor would not be a deal breaker.

Having separate tabs for each part of the sketch I`m working on seems an odd way of doing things, but thats due to my limited experience of these things.

For now though, I`ll stick with the Enhanced IDE as it just works! :slight_smile:
Is there a way of increasing the Undo buffer though?

Lakes:
For now though, I`ll stick with the Enhanced IDE as it just works! :slight_smile:
Is there a way of increasing the Undo buffer though?

I didn't see a limit inside, maybe the limit is because the java virtual machine: 128MB?

I`ve just checked by typing random junk into the edit window
This what I typed

{
  // This code will loops consecutively
  abababababababababababababababababababab
  cdcdcdcdcdcdcdcdcdcdcdcdcdcdcdcdcdcdcdcdcdc
  dededededededededededededededededededede
  efefefefefefefefefefefefefefefefefefefefefefefefefefef
  ghghghghghghghghghghghghghghghghghghghghg
  hihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihih
}

This is how far it when back with cntl Z

{
  // This code will loops consecutively
  abababababababababababababababababababab
  cdcdcdcdcdcdcdcdcdcdcdcdcdcdcdcdcdcdcdcdcdc
  dededededededededededededededededededede
  efefefefefefefefefefefefefefefefefefefefefefefefefefef
  g
}

Is there a way to move from the beginning to end of a code block (or vice versa) matching braces?

bill2009:
Is there a way to move from the beginning to end of a code block (or vice versa) matching braces?

I think I can add that if you provide some useful case scenario in where that feature is useful.

Lakes:
This is how far it when back with cntl Z

I see. Checking the Java documentation I saw there is a default depth of 100 JDK 20 Documentation - Home

I can make it bigger easily but maybe combining the edits it is a better thing, I am not so sure if the UndoManager should record every single keystroke as an independent action

Ok, thanks for looking into it.

Lakes:
Ok, thanks for looking into it.

OK, but what limit do you think is enough? Also what is your opinion about combining changes or keeping individual keystrokes?

I barely noticed the limitations on the undo in all this years, I just undo something small and keep editing, never something big or too away from the place I am working on, so I need comments from users.

Visual Studio maybe be ok for Pros, but the interface looks too complicated for me and Im reluctant to install anymore MS "bloatware" than I really need to.

Yeah, it probably didn't help my using the ArduPlane drone example, that's the most massive Arduino project on the planet (not my work, can't take any credit) :slight_smile:

Anyway Visual Studio is actually a one click install and "just works", same as the Arduino Ide.

But as I said in my email to you, the enhanced arduino ide is well worth a look. Even if it hasn't got the code navigation and helper tools, it is really great to see Arduino Ide development moving forward at a reasonable speed for a change.

I like individual character undo, not block undo. If I can choose the number of undo, I always set it to max (usually 9999 characters).

+1 for individual character undo, and maybe have a prefs setting to set a limit if people want that function.

Lakes:
+1 for individual character undo, and maybe have a prefs setting to set a limit if people want that function.

OK, I think 10000 is a small "buffer" since the only combined stuff arduino does is the indentation (as a block) so teorically 100 tabs with 10000 undos will use less than 1 mb of ram (considering only the char data).

I am believing I need to add some easy updater so the app is automatically updated (only the changed components) because I will still not upload the new installer only for the undo cache, but I will change the font and try to fix other stuff before releasing an update this week.

I like the update.

Is there anyway to improve the highlight error display. Currently the package highlights the line where it thinks the error is, however I am not sure that it is taking into account any comments because it always highlights a line earlier in the buffer than were the error is.

mervynatbeka:
I like the update.

Is there anyway to improve the highlight error display. Currently the package highlights the line where it thinks the error is, however I am not sure that it is taking into account any comments because it always highlights a line earlier in the buffer than were the error is.

Sure thing, I also noticed that but I am not 100% sure what's wrong.

If you can come up with some samples of the error and some guesses about what is wrong (what is and what isn't accounting for the line alignment), I can for sure enhance that for some next version.