Undocumneted command?

So, I ran into someone asking about the strlen command...

How many commands are there that aren't listed on the main reference page?

Is there a full list? Or am I asking the wrong question? Is there a way for the normal C avr commands work in the arduino ide? Am I making sense?

That is definitely not a complete list.

From what I understand, you can use a lot of commands in C. However, what you are seeing is probably someone using a library of some sort.

However, what you are seeing is probably someone using a library of some sort.

Specifically, avr-libc:

http://www.nongnu.org/avr-libc/user-manual/index.html

Since the Arduino libraries are built on top of avr-libc, they too are available for your use. Note that they aren't as "user-friendly" as the Arduino libraries (the Arduino libs consist of many wrappers which abstract a lot of work away, among other things), but many of the library functions (such as strlen) are simple enough to grasp, especially with an example or two.

Awesome!
Thanks!

As far as I know that function and a lot more are part of a tipical C compiler, so just get a good book about C programming :wink:

Great! I've had an Ansi C class.

It's just weird to see there isn't a line in the sand between the command set for the IDE and the avr stuff.

As far as I know that function and a lot more are part of a tipical C compiler, so just get a good book about C programming.

More accurately, they are part of the standard C library set. However, the AVR version may have various differences from what you would find in the "full" version due to it being optimized for the AVR microcontroller family, so it would be better to reference the link I gave instead.

If you aren't well familiar with C/C++, though, I would recommend a book or two. One of the better ones is "C++ How to Program" by Deitel/Deitel. Its widely used in introductory (and likely advanced) C/C++ courses in universities and colleges.

http://www.deitel.com/books/cpphtp4/