I am new to the Arduino

Hi Karma8 I am like many "new to Arduino users" I suspect, and am totally over-awed by its capability and flexibility. I now have it working as I want it to, thankyou so much for your kind offer. What I think happened, is that somehow the Aeduino didn`t recognose (as its own) the port that I usually use for it ie port 5 ( the easiest for me as iuts in the front of my PC) and it automatically thought it should be in 1? and I missed that, so as soon as I changed it to 5 it fired up OK and I managed to reprogramme it.

As I am a novice to the programming, I wonder if I can take you up on your kind offer, (I dont know how to paste the programme as yet to the forum, but will soon find out I guess) I wont waste your time I assure you,

What I am doing with the Arduino is using a single unit to operate a "burst" pump system using a solenoid valve "teed" off a peristaltic high (ish) pressure system and it works fine with a small 555 timer system at present, but I need to be able to change the bursts timing as the system calls for it ie micro secs etc I have as yet to sort the needed Arduino inputs etc and its early days as yet . Thanks again for your kind offer and help KIndest regards Rob.