Wireing for Arduino/Relay Shield to control a cold cathode tube

I wanted to put together a project but didn't realize how little I knew. Below is a link to a video of my initial setup.

Please note, this set up only supplied 5 volts and not what it needed.

I am looking to use the relay shield to output a higher voltage but I am stuck on how to wire everything. I currently have coded a loop of relay 1 opening and closing. I know this because I hear it clicking.
I have no idea however how to get that power to the cathode.

What I do know is there is a common open, common close, and a com port. I would assume just connecting my inverter terminals to one NC and one COM. I tried this but it didn't work.

Any suggestions?

It's a switch.
NO and COM
NO is Normally Open, Closes (NO to COM) when its coil is energised, it goes open circuit when the coil is off.)

Connect NO to cold cathode's positive supply and COM to the cold cathode.

(If you put postive supply to COM and NO to the c.c., it would still work BUT then positive supply will be "available" at the NC terminal when the coil is off.)

I believe I followed your directions, I took a a video for clarity. I wasn't able to get any power to the c.c. I'm not sure what is wrong, would the COM1 and NO1 ports supply the necessary voltage?

I also included the code:

/*
  Blink
  Turns on an LED on for one second, then off for one second, repeatedly.

This example code is in the public domain.
 */

// Pin 13 has an LED connected on most Arduino boards.
// give it a name:
int led = 7;

// the setup routine runs once when you press reset:
void setup() {                
  // initialize the digital pin as an output.
  pinMode(led, OUTPUT);     
}

// the loop routine runs over and over again forever:
void loop() {
  digitalWrite(led, HIGH);   // turn the LED on (HIGH is the voltage level)
  delay(5000);               // wait for a second
  digitalWrite(led, LOW);    // turn the LED off by making the voltage LOW
  delay(5000);               // wait for a second
}

The relay, the switch part of it, should be placed between the power supply and the device being powered - it's a switch.

So, you didn't do what I had posted:
"Connect NO to cold cathode's positive supply and COM to the cold cathode."
Like you would do if you were placing a switch between the two.

I have attached a diagram showing the connections.

rly_cc.JPG

The relay, the switch part of it, should be placed between the power supply and the device being powered

I do not understand, the relay is build onto a shield. I am using the SeedStudio Relay Sheild http://seeedstudio.com/wiki/File:RelayShield.jpg

I think I am confused on some statements. You mention to connect Normally Open (NO1 in my case) to the cathodes positive supply. I thought that was correct, the positive wire running from the inverter feeds directly into the NO1 port. As for the second statement, I believe that is what is confusing.

...and COM to the cold cathode.

I am not sure what this means, the cold cathode is connected directly to the inverter. I am unsure of where the negative lead goes.

I think I wired the set up as the drawing depicted but then again, this is my first real project including components and high voltages.

Here is a video explaining what I did:

Try this (see attached)

Assuming that the C.C> is OK with 9V (wall pack)

rly_wml.bmp (748 KB)

Just to make sure I am reading this correctly, in your diagram, COM1 and 9V are connected to each other, NO1 going to the positive inverter lead and ground going to the negative lead on the inverter?

JamesHayek:
Just to make sure I am reading this correctly, in your diagram, COM1 and 9V are connected to each other, NO1 going to the positive inverter lead and ground going to the negative lead on the inverter?

Affirmative.

I set it up to no avail..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D9kZtGyg_M

Do you have a voltmeter?

Yes, but using it is another story. I might have to watch some youtube first prior to continuing. I don't know what to set the dial on to get a reading.

Set it to DCV.
If there's a range then set it as appropriate (20V, 30V, whatever it has.)
Disconnect everything but the white jumper.
With one probe to Gnd and the other to NO, when the relay is clicking (if the relay is clicking) the DMM will indicate its/voltage's presence/absence.
It will also be at NC, but opposite state from NO's.

You are using Relay #1 which is controlled, I believe, by Arduino digital pin 4.
Your sketch posted is using digital pin 7, which will click, I believe, Relay 4.

seeedstudio wiki --
Relays 1-4 can be activated by setting Arduino ports 4-7 to output, and doing a digitalWrite(portNumber,HIGH).

Okay, I saw a quick video on youtube

and followed your directions, I successfully measured the 9V battery (Showed as 9.3), I kept the white jumpers connected to COM1 and 9V and took the negative tip on the multimeter to GND and the positive to NO1. I got no power. I then wired the jumper from 9V to each of the other COM ports and took measurements from the GND to the respective NO and NC ports. I still got no voltage readout.

I made changes to the coding to tryout different ports. Sorry for the confussion. My code that I have ben using to test each of our tries is as below.

/*
  Blink
  Turns on an LED on for one second, then off for one second, repeatedly.

This example code is in the public domain.
 */

// Pin 13 has an LED connected on most Arduino boards.
// give it a name:
int led = 4;

// the setup routine runs once when you press reset:
void setup() {                
  // initialize the digital pin as an output.
  pinMode(led, OUTPUT);     
}

// the loop routine runs over and over again forever:
void loop() {
  digitalWrite(led, HIGH);   // turn the LED on (HIGH is the voltage level)
  delay(5000);               // wait for a second
  digitalWrite(led, LOW);    // turn the LED off by making the voltage LOW
  delay(5000);               // wait for a second
}

I was actually using pin 4 which should correspond to relay 1, COM1, NO1, etc

Please don't make another youtube.

You are saying that with

1. the relay shield powered
  2. the Arduino running a sketch that digitalWrites digital 4 HIGH/LOW
  3. "9V" jumpered to Relay 1 COM
  4. DMM red probe to NO1 and DMM black probe to GND
    that there is no 9V on/off?

Is there 9V at the "9V" terminal (again one probe "9V" and the other at "Gnd")?

Yes, that is correct. The relay shield is powered on, the Arduino is running a sketch with the above code, the 9V is jumped to COM1, DDM Red probe is touching NO1 and the black is going to GND. I am showing no voltage reading. I can however read the 9V battery so I must be using the DMM correctly (Set to Voltage, etc)

There is no 9V coming from the 9V terminal. I believe this is to input power, not get out.

JamesHayek:
There is no 9V coming from the 9V terminal. I believe this is to input power, not get out.

Well, that's a big problem.
Is there a jumper on the board for that? I don't see one.
seeedstudio documentation is the pits.

More nincompoopery from the seeedstudio wiki:
IO controlling 4 on-board relays
D0-D3 4pins could be connected directly with Arduino pin number of 7-4, so that four relays could be easily controlled by the Arduino.

Perplexing and infuriating - that's what makes it fun.

Set your DMM to ohms ?. Disconnect any jumpers, have the relay shield just as it is out of the box, but plugged into the Arduino running the test sketch (click, click, click).
With one probe to C and the other to NC or NO, the ohmmeter will indicate alternately "0.0" or high ohms "oL" when its relay goes on/off.
Try and find out what's going on that way.

9V DC power supply connection
The function of the Terminal and the Jack is the same since they are internally connected, and you can choose either of them in needs.

Oh, really? Meaning what, exactly, I can only wonder.

Any progress?

Depending on their construction, you may have to turn those terminals down.
You can't always count on the screw-tops if they're not clamping a wire in between.
[I found that out the hard way.]

Sorry, stepped out to have dinner with my mother, and then did tons of research.

There is no jumper on the Relay Shield to switch the power input from the terminals to a power output. The documentation is the pits, the forum is terrible also. Their automatic username/password generator doesn't work. After registering through the site I am being told the username isn't recognized.

The only information I was able to find was on DC Motors and not a light of some sort. Although the process should be pretty much the same.

Perplexing and infuriating - that's what makes it fun.

Rewarding I will agree with, fun, I don't know about that!! lol That's why I like Differential Equations, and one of the reasons I am just starting to take EE classes. Knowledge is a commodity that never looses value.

So I downloaded the example code, increased the time between clicks to 5 seconds and set my DMM to Ohms, and on each click I see an alternating value of 1 and 0.3. When I try to measure Voltages I see nothing. When I originally set my DMM to ohms, the value is tarred at 1.

The code is as follows:

//  RelayShieldDemoCode.pde  to control seeed relay shield by arduino.
//  Copyright (c) 2010 seeed technology inc.
//  Author: Steve Chang
//  Version: september 2, 2010
//
//  This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
//  modify it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public
//  License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either
//  version 2.1 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
//
//  This library is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
//  but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
//  MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU
//  Lesser General Public License for more details.
//
//  You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public
//  License along with this library; if not, write to the Free Software
//  Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin St, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA  02110-1301  USA

unsigned char relayPin[4] = {4,5,6,7};

void setup()
{
  int i;
  for(i = 0; i < 4; i++)
  {
    pinMode(relayPin[i],OUTPUT);
  }
}

//just an simple demo to close and open 4 relays
// every other 1s.
void loop()
{

int i=0;
  for(i = 0; i < 4; i++)
  {
    digitalWrite(relayPin[i],HIGH);
  }
  delay(5000);
  for(i = 0; i < 4; i++)
  {
    digitalWrite(relayPin[i],LOW);
  } 
  delay(5000);

}

9V DC power supply connection
The function of the Terminal and the Jack is the same since they are internally connected, and you can choose either of them in needs.

Beats me why something would be so redundant.

Oh, I have been turning the terminals all the way down. I wanted to eliminate any issue with connectivity.

I wonder if something is wrong with the board, wouldn't voltage be coming from one of the terminals if I am hearing a clicking?

OK, I had Sunday dinner, too.

JamesHayek:
I wonder if something is wrong with the board, wouldn't voltage be coming from one of the terminals if I am hearing a clicking?

Do some more ohms checks.
DMM on ohms.
Touch the probes together, look at the display, that's a short.
Leave the probes apart, look at the display, that's an open.
Remove the shield from the Arduino, unpowered.
Probe from the "9V" terminal to the jack centre terminal: open or short?
Likewise, see if you can find a short (continuity) from the "Gnd" terminal back to the jack.
Those jacks have a switch function (that's why there are three soldered points underneath.)

Does the tube light if it's powered by the 9V battery? (I suspect not.)

Do you know how to solder?