Power management with arduino sleeping

So i have a question i hope you guys can help me...

i have my arduino hook to a lot of stuff :

www.diveduino.com

so i want to implement some power saving here, by sleeping the arduino and also block power to the LCD and open log..
i think that having and ouput from the arduino to a small relay to power the other electronics i do not know if there is an especial IC that does this ?

any recomendation for small solid state relays,that are surface mount?

thanks

The general pattern is:

1. If the peripheral has an enable input then it may be possible to put it into an ultra-low power mode programmatically - if so do this, its easiest.

2. If not then a p-channel MOSFET or PNP transistor in a high-side switching configuration can be used to power down that device. In this case you have to ensure all the signals to the device are put either LOW or as INPUTs before powering down.

cool i will look into that..thanks

possible interesting read - http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=11497 -

robtillaart:
possible interesting read - http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=11497 -

wow...

awesome...

wow...

awesome...

don't take to much, it is very concentrated knowledge :wink:

Could i use one of these connected to a 12volt lead acid battery to run my arduino uno? so i dont bypass the internal regulator.

@ddancer722- You are necroposting on an old and resolved topic.

thanks for pointing that out. can you also answer the question?

ddancer722:
Could I use one of these connected to a 12volt lead acid battery to run my Arduino UNO? so I don't bypass the internal regulator.

That's just a bit of wire, no more, no less.

Why would you not want to bypass the internal regulator (which itself wastes more current than the MCU does in sleep mode)? If you want to run from a 12V (14V) battery, you really should use a 5V switchmode regulator designed for automotive input voltages.

Hint: Posting links, remove the garbage after and including the question mark.