Rotary Switch--5 Position?

Hey guys, I'm looking for a rotary switch that has 5 positions. I'm basically using the rotary switch as so:

I just want to confirm that it has to be a 1 polarize correct? What does it mean by deck? I'm asking because I'm having hard time finding the right one on digikey

abidethedude:
Hey guys, I'm looking for a rotary switch that has 5 positions. I'm basically using the rotary switch as so:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/satisfaction-production/s3_images/101962/arduino-rotary-switch.png

I just want to confirm that it has to be a 1 polarize correct? What does it mean by deck? I'm asking because I'm having hard time finding the right one on digikey

Could you rephrase that 'polarize' statement, as I don't understand the question? If you mean are you only needing a single pole, five position rotary switch, that is correct. By the way in that drawing you show using external pull-up resistors. You really can save some trouble and not use them, but rather just enable the internal pull-up resistors for those specific pins, it's free and it works.

Lefty

The number of decks will probably not be a concern since you have only a single 'Pole' and five 'Throws' (SP5T). If you had two (Double) Poles and 5 Throws (DP5T) you might have a choice of having both switches share a single Deck or having two Decks with one switch each. A Deck can contain roughly 12 Throws so for Double Throw, Triple Throw, and 4-throw switches you can fit more poles in a small space if you have multiple poles per deck.

For that diagram just pick a SP5T rotary switch.

If you are attaching a knob you probably want one with a "Flatted" shaft. The "Flush" shaft style has to be turned with a screwdriver.

retrolefty:

abidethedude:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/satisfaction-production/s3_images/101962/arduino-rotary-switch.png

Could you rephrase that 'polarize' statement, as I don't understand the question? If you mean are you only needing a single pole, five position rotary switch, that is correct. By the way in that drawing you show using external pull-up resistors. You really can save some trouble and not use them, but rather just enable the internal pull-up resistors for those specific pins, it's free and it works.

Lefty

Sorry about that. Yes I meant 1 pole .
I am actually going to be using the Atmega328 chip on a PCB board, hence it setup this way.

Thanks for the reply everyone!

You used to be able to get rotary switches with 12 detents and configurable end-stops. The one-pole version could do 2 to 11 way with the stop in place, or 12 way with no end stop. 2-pole 6-way and 3-pole 4-way variants were available, probably 4-pole 3-way too.