My finished arduino powered lamp - YOUTUBE VIDEO

Hey folks, if anyone's interested, I've just finished this lamp for a uni project.

What do y'all think?

Thanks for looking!

Well done,
(is this a repost as I've see this video a few days ago)

Can you post your code ? tech details? or is it private project?

I expect compass module + RGB led (angle => color ) clever trick.:slight_smile:

Thanks folks. I know the light dissipation isn't perfect (if that's what you mean by darker areas), but there's a battery pack inside on the bottom, so it is a lot darker there - needs more development to solve that problem.

And yes, it uses a HMC5883L compass module, arduino uno, piranha RGB led and NiMH battery pack.

I won't put the code up yet as it's a uni project that hasn't even been marked yet, but am happy to share it at a later date for those interested, as this site was very helpful when creating the lamp :slight_smile:

Thanks, Felix

fefelarue:
Thanks folks. I know the light dissipation isn't perfect (if that's what you mean by darker areas), but there's a battery pack inside on the bottom, so it is a lot darker there - needs more development to solve that problem.

mirrors or lenses can do nice jobs (paint the batteries with mirror-paint.

I won't put the code up yet as it's a uni project that hasn't even been marked yet, but am happy to share it at a later date for those interested, as this site was very helpful when creating the lamp :slight_smile:
Thanks, Felix

Understandable,
again well done,

robtillaart:

fefelarue:

mirrors or lenses can do nice jobs (paint the batteries with mirror-paint.

Thanks, Felix

Understandable,
again well done,

But the problem is that the batteries take up most of the bottom of the cube, so I'd need clear batteries lol. Ideally, all the internals would be suspended in the centre, but I didnt have the time or resources to do that really..

Thanks for the feedback/ support :slight_smile:

Hi there,

Great idea, very cool. Has it been marked yet? how did you go?

Cheers!

Yes I actually got the mark back earlier this week and I got a first for it :slight_smile: I'm pretty happy with that!

Thanks

Awesome project -- nice job!

Just out of curiosity, why did you use the compass module instead of mounting it on a potentiometer(like this Thumbwheel Potentiometer - 10k Ohm, Linear - COM-11173 - SparkFun Electronics)? Wouldn't that be a lot cheaper? I guess you couldn't turn it more than 360 degrees though.

with a compass you can also walk with the lamp and it still works...

this cube is awesome.

How many LEDs are inside? I plan to rebuild this and thought aboud buildiing a frame of transparent acryl glas to put the battery pack in the center of the cube., so you won't get a dark are on the bottom.

also what do you think about using a QI charger to load th battery pack

are you going to release the code of this awesome lamp?

I finished my first version:

i have to rework the illumination and to optimize the color steps, but this ist not really a problem.

The color steps and the illumination are now optimized:

Arduino powered LED Cube with Compass 2 - YouTube (the left cube already has the optimized illumination.)

if you guys are intressted, i will release my sourcecode and a partlist in the next weeks.

Well done,
Of course we are interested in (open) source code! :wink:

Here We go,

In the Archive you will find my source code and my fritzing file for the pcb which i use to boost the pwm signal.

CompassCube.tar.gz (1.56 MB)