Anti-virus nothing to do with Arduino

What better place to ask this question than one frequented by programmers :wink:

What in your opinion is the best internet security software? I'm looking to switch as my current one gives me headaches.

A macintosh ;D

Don't worry, you will need it soon enough :wink:

I use the AVG free version.

AVG

Ubuntu :slight_smile:

Read over 100 times and only 3 suggestions? :-/

I suspect that if anyone violently disagreed with what has been said they would have commented, so I think one of the above is probably your answer.

--Phil.

Never herd of Ubuntu, and I know people that have tried AVG. It scans at boot up which takes 15 to 20 min just to boot up the computer, and it bogs it down bad, internet serfing is painfully slow. Worst still, it won't uninstall. They had to whip their drive to get rid if it.
I find it hard to believe that people like it so much.

If AVG was doing that to their systems they were using it incorrectly or they got a bogus copy.

If AVG was doing that to their systems they were using it incorrectly or they got a bogus copy.

Agreed. I've been using it for several years with no issues (and no viruses). While it has fattened up in the latest version, if you are running a halfway decent rig you'll be fine. I've also uninstalled it with no issues. There are a couple of other free ones out there that I've heard are decent, but AVG has not given me any reason to switch. There are a couple of things you may want to tweak on it, but hey it's free!

MaximumPC recently recommended AviraAntivir saying

AntiVir's biggest strength lies in its detection rate. It's the only scanner in our roundup to triumph with a near clean sweep during Virus Bulletin's latest testing, and it did so without reporting any false positives. That's impressive. AntiVir performed equally well in our Lab, as long as we didn't attempt to install spyware or hijack the browser.

If you can live with the popup ad AntiVir forces you to view each time a scheduled update is performed, you'll be rewarded with a potent, no-cost AV scanner. Move over AVG, we have a new favorite freebie.

So, that one may be worth a shot if you can live with the popup.

Good Luck!

BTW, Ubuntu is a flavor of Linux :wink:

Are there knock-offs of it out there? They said they downloaed the free copy from AVR. I will admit that these people arn't very computer savy.

avg works super fine! go for it!