Deleting Accounnt

What happens to your topic/posts when you delete your account?

Your name changes color from blue to black. But the posts remain. Why?

I had another account under the same email which was mysteriously deleted. My old name still appears on several topics/posts. I'd like to have them deleted, or at least have the name anonymised. I can provide the original confirmation email if need be.

Cheers.

ed13:
I had another account under the same email which was mysteriously deleted. My old name still appears on several topics/posts. I'd like to have them deleted, or at least have the name anonymised. I can provide the original confirmation email if need be.

Cheers.

Were you using your email as the user name? Or using your actual name? Usually if you want to stay anonymous you use a nick name like I do.

Delta_G:
Were you using your email as the user name? Or using your actual name? Usually if you want to stay anonymous you use a nick name like I do.

No, but it included parts of my name. I'd like that removed if I possible.

I think any forum which doesn't delete topics/posts with user accounts should automatically anonymise usernames when the account is deleted.

ed13:
I think any forum which doesn't delete topics/posts with user accounts should automatically anonymise usernames when the account is deleted.

I think any user who wants anonymity should probably not use his real name. It's not the forum's fault if you did something foolish.

What happened? Something posted here you're ashamed of or something?

Delta_G:
I think any user who wants anonymity should probably not use his real name.

I agree, although I wasn't particularly concerned about it back then.

No, I didn't write anything foolish; I'm just not too keen on the idea of having absolutely no control over the data I put on the internet, especially when my name is involved.

ed13:
I'm just not too keen on the idea of having absolutely no control over the data I put on the internet, especially when my name is involved.

One should never post something on the internet that one might later wish to retract.

Posting on the internet is the modern equivalent of shouting messages from the steps of the Town Hall. Once said it can't be unsaid.

Even if the Forum changes stuff people may have already taken copies - the equivalent of the town gossip saying "Do you know what I heard at the Town Hall this morning ...?"

My advice is to forget about it and move on.

...R

ed13:
I had another account under the same email...

Can't find it.

I can provide the original confirmation email if need be.

If you want action taken you are going to have to provide more details. Personal message is a good choice for conveyance.

ed13:
I agree, although I wasn't particularly concerned about it back then.

No, I didn't write anything foolish; I'm just not too keen on the idea of having absolutely no control over the data I put on the internet, especially when my name is involved.

Yeah that's on you bud. The mods will probably be nice enough to change it for you but I don't see why they should have to.

And even if they do, somebody could use the wayback or something and still go see it. All this stuff gets archived. So you'll never completely cover it up.

ed13:
What happens to your topic/posts when you delete your account?

You can't delete your account.
Moderators have the option of deleting a member's posts when the account is deleted, or leaving them.
Mods can't (to the best of my knowledge) change an account's name

Duplicate account posts are nearly always deleted.

So what he is saying is that the posts from this account will likely be deleted but not the ones from the original account.

Be more careful next time.

These "data controllers" are required under EU law to remove data that is "inadequate, irrelevant, or no longer relevant", making this directive of global importance.

It's not clear exactly how this would apply to self-published information in things like the Arduino Forum.
Pessimally interpreted, it could have really bad effects.

westfw:

These "data controllers" are required under EU law to remove data that is "inadequate, irrelevant, or no longer relevant", making this directive of global importance.

It's not clear exactly how this would apply to self-published information in things like the Arduino Forum.
Pessimally interpreted, it could have really bad effects.

Let's back up a moment. In what way is the OP's data "inadequate, irrelevant, or no longer relevant". ?

The fact that the OP would like something changed does not IMHO bring it into that category.

And if a general (non personalized) test for inadequate or irrelevant was applied then most of the Forum posts should disappear :slight_smile:

...R

Well, I had heard of this "right to be forgotten" thing in Europe, and looked up more details to see if it might apply.
I included that segment precisely because I thought it was pretty much excluding things like the Arduino forum, but it IS a bit ambiguous.
(and I agree with you that probably the OP's posts don't qualify.)

OTOH, playing devils advocate: "I'm submitting resumes to real companies and I don't want their hiring people to be able to look me up and notice how recently I was asking completely clueless questions."

westfw:
OTOH, playing devils advocate: "I'm submitting resumes to real companies and I don't want their hiring people to be able to look me up and notice how recently I was asking completely clueless questions."

Playing the devil's devil's advocate I would argue that from the prospective employer's point of view those Posts would be especially relevant and deleting or editing them would be a form of fraud - getting a job by false pretences. (Mind you that is not phenomenon that was created by the internet :slight_smile: )

It's easy to see how some lawyers are wealthy :slight_smile:

...R

ed13:
My old name still appears on several topics/posts.

Your name or your moniker?