connecting the Due board to a WiFi shield

Hi everyone..

I'd like to transmit live audio using an arduino board and a WiFi shield.
I've figured that 12-bit resolusion (ADC) should be enough for my purposes, but the WiFi shield is compatible only with the Uno or the Mega which have 8-bit ADC.
is it possible to connect the Due (w/ the 12-bit ADC) to the WiFi shield by increasing its voltage (using transistors) from 3.3v to 5v?
are there any other problems wiring the two?

please help,
Itay.

itaysteinberg

I tested the WiFi shield with the Due and it is compatible. The shield uses the IOREF pin to ensure compatibility.
Where do you get the info that is not compatible?

Hi cmaglie,
thank you for your response.

just to be clear, I am talking about the Arduino Due.
not about the Arduino Duemilanove (which was replaced by the Uno)

At the WiFi Shield's description ( http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoWiFiShield ) it's specified that "...It is compatible with the Arduino Uno and Mega." but there is no mention of the Due or any other board, so I've figured...
In addition, the operating voltage of the shield is 5v and the Due supplies only 3.3v (which I believe can be fixed by transistors but still need to be considered).

So, did you manage to operate them without any problems?

itaysteinberg:
Hi cmaglie,
thank you for your response.

just to be clear, I am talking about the Arduino Due.
not about the Arduino Duemilanove (which was replaced by the Uno)

At the WiFi Shield's description ( http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoWiFiShield ) it's specified that "...It is compatible with the Arduino Uno and Mega." but there is no mention of the Due or any other board, so I've figured...

You are right, the description of the shield does not indicate it is compatible with Due/3.3V, but in fact it is. It has a level translator already for 5V/3.3V signals.

In addition, the operating voltage of the shield is 5v and the Due supplies only 3.3v (which I believe can be fixed by transistors but still need to be considered).

here you are confusing several things, to clarify:

1. the Due supplies both 3.3V and 5V power
  2. a shield can be powered from 5V but still be compatible with 3.3V baseboard (or vice versa)
  3. it is the IO signals that require level translation, this does not relate to power supplies

In short, the wi-fi sheld will work fine with the Due, do not worry!

Thank you, bobcousins !!

It's a great relief.
:slight_smile:

cmaglie:
itaysteinberg

I tested the WiFi shield with the Due and it is compatible. The shield uses the IOREF pin to ensure compatibility.
Where do you get the info that is not compatible?

The complete absence of any mention whatsoever of the DUE in the product description led me to believe that it was not compatible as well.

Can we start modifying some of the Shield Product Descriptions (Ethernet and now WIFI), indicating what is and what isn't DUE compatible?