Improving STEM student retention using Arduino projects

I started a series of events on my campus to increase the awareness of Arduino and hope to improve STEM degree student retention using Arduino projects. Anyone doing something similar?

Hi,
What age/grade level?? What other STEM / electricity background do they have?

What is the outcome you want for students in knowledge and skills?

I work with teachers in many universities and high schools, and I'm working on specific curriculum/Kit for grades 4-8, which I find challenging.

They are college students in STEM intended degrees. Retention is poor. They have very little knowledge of STEM and electricity. The outcome is not specific, such as understanding Ohm's law, .... it is retention of these students in our university.

Can you share a thing or two regarding the challenges of teaching 4-8 graders STEM/circuits/electronics? What demographics?

Terry,

I think that there are a number of obstacles for beginners. One of them is beginning programming, another one is basic resistive circuit Ohm's law, a third one about soldering. I'm going to organize students to focus on these things to get them over the obstacles. Maybe binary numbers is another obstacle?

I love Arduino world and want to teach my child when he is 5 or 6 years old. But the Arduino does not seem to be suitable for his age. Does anyone know other tools to teach and inspire electronics and programming for the kids?

Thanks.

Start with Lego Mindstorms for physical stuff, drag & drop programming, simple to make connections to motors & sensors.

Thanks CR. We have a robotics club that have Lego Mindstorm. There's not enough electronics that I'd like to see. Anyway, I decided to design a board that can do most of arduino IDE's standard sample sketches without having to wire anything. Sensors and LEDs can be plugged into 2-pin headers. This should get students without the least amount of preparation. I'll get my design printed and post some photos.

liudr, I was answering dw23q. Guess I could have made that more clear.

dw23q,

Try "little bits".