3d printer [need advice]

Hi everyone!

I was thinking of making a 3d printer controlled by Arduino, but I don't think I'll manage to build it as I don't have the right tools.
So I was thiinking of buying a kit with no electronic (only motors and mechanic parts) but I only found really expensive kits such as the makerbot one or RepRap.

I find it really expensive for a few pieces of plastic...
Do you know any kit for less than 130$ with no electronic or less than 200$ with electronic?

Thanks to you all!

I find it really expensive for a few pieces of plastic.

The problem is those RepRap parts take a couple of hours to print.
Have you seen these:-
http://www.emakershop.com/browse/printed-parts
The other parts are just threading an nuts and bolts.
The stepping motors are the most expensive part and they will be needed what ever system you get.
Also look at the repstrap builds on the reprap website.

I know stepper motors are the expensive part (with the platic extruder) but I already have some powerful ones for less than 6 euros. Moreover, 500 euros is really to much for a student like me... :s

If I buy these : http://www.emakershop.com/browse/printed-parts for 50£ I will have to buy a plastic extruder which is more than 80£! I can't afford that... :frowning: And I'm not sure of having the right tools to cut threaded rod, or the pieces to connect the motors to the threaded rods...

I will have to buy a plastic extruder

Yes you always need an extruder no matter how you get the carriage mechanism.

I'm not sure of having the right tools to cut threaded rod

A hack saw? Just a few Euros.

or the pieces to connect the motors to the threaded rods

The couplers are included in the plastic parts (Z axis) - the other two axis use belts.

The problem is that to save money you make the parts yourself, but with no tools it is impossible to save money.
As you are a student doesn't you place of education have a workshop equipped with tools you could use if you asked nicely?

Yes you always need an extruder no matter how you get the carriage mechanism.

It's not that cheap, do you know somewhere where i can get one for about 20 euros?

A hack saw? Just a few Euros.

Do you think I will have enough precision for what is required?

The couplers are included in the plastic parts (Z axis) - the other two axis use belts.

Does this mean I only have to buy the motors, plastic parts and threaded rods and I have all the mechanic part? Where to get the belts from?

And how to make sure the motors I'll buy will fit with the printer?

In my eduction place i don't have any machines as we're doing maths, physics and chemistry but no engineer work.

Thanks a lot for all your answers!

do you know somewhere where i can get one for about 20 euros?

Sorry no.

Do you think I will have enough precision for what is required?

Yes the saw cuts needed are not very precise, you just need to cut the length to a few mm.

Where to get the belts from?

http://www.mendelfactory.com/index.php?cPath=28

And how to make sure the motors I'll buy will fit with the printer?

Look at the size of the hole in the printed part or the shaft size of the recommended motor and make sure your motor is the same size or bigger, then you need to drill it out.

i don't have any machines as we're doing maths, physics and chemistry but no engineer work.

Every place that has done physics that I have bee to has a small workshop somewhere. Ask around the teachers maybe they know somewhere that you don't know.

Thanks a lot for all your answers! :slight_smile:

I'll ask my physic teacher on Thursday to know if there's a workshop at school.

By the way, why are the belts so expensive? It's just a piece of plastic... :frowning:

why are the belts so expensive? It's just a piece of plastic

Well it is a toothed belt so there is a bit of structure there. It will also handle a heavy load.

Grumpy_Mike:

why are the belts so expensive? It's just a piece of plastic

Well it is a toothed belt so there is a bit of structure there. It will also handle a heavy load.

Timing belts contain a continuous, fiberglass or kevlar reinforcement. If you can imagine how such a thing is molded then you'll probably wonder why they aren't more expensive.

Grumpy_Mike:
The problem is those RepRap parts take a couple of hours to print.

Actually, if you want them properly printed, with enough infill and a low layer height to give a smooth surface, it can take quite a few hours. I printed a set for a friend, at around 100mm/s (with accelration so it varies a lot), and it took me like 10-12 hours of effective printing.

I printed a set for a friend, at around 100mm/s (with accelration so it varies a lot), and it took me like 10-12 hours of effective printing.

Quite a lot indeed!
How did you build your own printer?

I was wondering how heavy this object is :

The thing is I'd like to know how much it costs in plastic rope.

@ Grumpy_Mike : I asked my teacher nd he said there were no 3dprinter or cnc at school :frowning:

Soranne:

I printed a set for a friend, at around 100mm/s (with accelration so it varies a lot), and it took me like 10-12 hours of effective printing.

Quite a lot indeed!

A thing like that would be pretty cheap, would be like 2-300mm of 3mm filament

I think this was around 25 meters

bld:

Soranne:

Quite a lot indeed!

A thing like that would be pretty cheap, would be like 2-300mm of 3mm filament

Would it be like 0.10€ or more 1€?

Soranne:
Would it be like 0.10€ or more 1€?

One spool with 320 meters of 3mm PLA filament is between 60 and 70 euro, and ABS is something around 10 euro cheaper than that.

Ok so it would be more than 5€ for this :
, quite expensive...

Is there a way to build our own filament out of plastic bottles for example?

Soranne:
Ok so it would be more than 5€ for this :

Not sure how you get that to be 5 euro...

65 euro = 320000 mm
1 piece = 200mm

320000/200 = 1600 pieces

1600/65 = ~0,05 euro (rounded up because you use a bit when preparing the nozzle)

Soranne:

No, not yet.

No. Wrong plastic and it is hard to exude exact diameter filament.

A lot of this sort of experimentation is discussed on the RepRap site.

There are experimental extrusions for all sorts of stuff.

Thanks a lot for all your answers guys you're so nice! :slight_smile:
I'll think about it, see if I can find a 3d printer to print parts.

I'll tell you once I finished!

Thanks a lot!

I can't even print you some atm. upgrading the printer to more aluminium parts. :smiley:

I'm back!

I finally decided to buy the printed parts to build the prusa!

But the thing is I can't find any dealer in France... Any idea?
I'd like to avoid buying on e-bay as I'm not sure about the quality...