EAGLE and making a rectangular via

Hi All...

I have a mini-USB type B connector with DIP legs that need to go into vias, but the legs are flat. So I need a via with an opening of 0.80 mm by 1.70 mm. How is this accomplished?

Thanks...

Jim

Not easily. You either specify a round hole that has a diameter equal to the largest dimension (1.7mm) and "suck it up" on the shorter dimension, or you get the PCB made by a board house that is willing to do internal slots, then specify where those slots should be on a different Gerber layer. Lots of board houses will do it, they will just charge you extra.

--
The Flexible MIDI Shield: MIDI IN/OUT, stacking headers, your choice of I/O pins

RuggedCircuits:
Not easily. You either specify a round hole that has a diameter equal to the largest dimension (1.7mm) and "suck it up" on the shorter dimension...

That's what i did, thanks. I'm not happy with it, mostly because it puts the via pad under a part of the connector that the datasheet labels "no conductive traces." I don't know why it says that. I think it means that the connectors metal body would short them, but I'm not sure. I think it would be okay though.

It also leaves some big gaps solder could go through, and some assembly houses will whine about that.

Thanks again.