Advantage of Arduino

" The IDE confuses me more than it helps, as there isn't a good reference on how things are done behind the scenes."

I found the IDE pretty easy to use - writing code just seemed like writing fancier BASIC code to me. Once I get the ;s and { }s to line up, and had looked at lots of examples, it started going pretty smooth. Not having to deal with behind the scenes stuff until I was ready to use another uC was not a hindrance for me coming from a hardware designer background.

Of course, if one were to look at some of my initial requests for help in the old forum, a different opinion might be drawn :wink:

Arduino is a ready to use prototyping environment that has a good (large?) collection of proven libraries and a large user base operating in an open environment and obtainable at a very reasonable price. The programming IDE is readily adaptable to other devices in teh AVR family (I have added support for the ATtiny2313 and the ATMega1284P). It has a FREE set of tools that has a not-to-steep learning curve and a variety of examples to help get you up to speed. The Arduino comes in a form factor that is very easy to prototype and for which there are a variety of products available to help you to use it in ways that you decide. And most of these devices are opensourced and rather inexpensive. Other than the basic investment (I paid $30US) it has a very low cost of ownership. (unless you buy a handfull of chips, the supporting resonators/crystals, capacitors, resistors, reglators, Max232's, etc)

It is a nice, small, easy to use product that gives excellent results.

there isn't a good reference on how things are done behind the scenes.

Redirecting ?
And of course there is 'read the source'...

Im one of those noobs who never got past downloading all the software, learning how to use it, learning c and how to compile and make it with all the parts and files and finally upload to blink an led
when I saw arduino I was writing my first code for an 8x8 matrix before I even had the arduino come in the mail! Now after the fact its been much easier to delve behind the scenes and see how all it works

westfw:

Redirecting ?

Uhm, er... uh... besides that one, of course... :sweat_smile: mmmm... humble pie....

Other than the basic investment (I paid $30US) it has a very low cost of ownership.

HA! Yep, sure it does. Just like crack. XD

(unless you buy a handfull of chips, the supporting resonators/crystals, capacitors, resistors, reglators, Max232's, etc)

There it is! Digi-key sends me Christmas cards now.

Digi-key sends me Christmas cards now

Oh, you let them off light! You should see the 3" high catalogs I get!

Dave Jones had a funny episode about that:

duinopad (OP) seems like a successful troll.

While Arduino (and I mean the software side of things) is great for various reasons (fairly simple, the right price, fairly powerful, hackable), it's still not everything to everyone. There are simpler to learn approaches and there are approaches that can take you much further. However, one could spend their entire MCU 'career' working in the Arduino world.

westfw:

Redirecting ?
And of course there is 'read the source'...

Occasionally I have found myself here:
http://www.nongnu.org/avr-libc/user-manual/index.html

Dear All,
Thank you so much for all for the reply
I am sorry for got long delay come back to this tropic. Please accept my apologizes any inconvenience case

But I did not see a relabel software simulator for Arduino that Newbie can practice before buy the hardware
Please advice
Thank in advance

duinopad:
Dear All
I am new for arduino
I would like to know, What is the advantage Arduino than AVR.if both use same chips

Seriously?

Arduino has voltage regulators, a USB connection, connectors for wires.... that's important if you don't know electronics or don't want to solder AVR chips.

duinopad:
But I did not see a relabel software simulator for Arduino that Newbie can practice before buy the hardware

Have you typed "Arduino simulator" into google? There must be at least a half dozen free Arduino simulators out there.

CrossRoads:

Digi-key sends me Christmas cards now

Oh, you let them off light! You should see the 3" high catalogs I get!

Oh, no...!

I hope I'm not on their list after they shipped those free samples to me.

Dear cyclegadget,

Thanks for reply

I downloaded Simulator for Arduino v0.98 and installed. Then I downloaded Arduino IDE and wrote the following program

void setup (){
pinMode (13, OUTPUT);
}
void loop(){
digitalWrite(13, HIGH);
delay(1000);
digitalWrite(13, LOW);
delay(1000);
}

Please advice how may I load the compiled file (HEX) to simulator. where the HEX file is generated

Please advice
Thanks in advance

Please advice how may I load the compiled file (HEX) to simulator.

I don't think you do. You load your sketch into the simulator's IDE, and run it from there.

Dear dxw00d ,
Thanks for reply
Could you please Let me know the different between sketch and HEX file
Thanks in advance

Dear All,
1.I wrote the program as attached picture and compiled well

2.sketch was generated as attached picture
3.Then I uploaded sketch file to Arduino simulator
4 The error message was generated as attached picture
Please advice

ar2.JPG

Could you please Let me know the different between sketch and HEX file

A sketch is your source code.
The hex file is the compiled version of your sketch, ie translated from C/C++ to machine code for the AVR processor.

Can I have the solution for my last question

That's not an Arduino error message.