How to pronounce "Arduino" ?

Lets just agree and standardize on ARE-DWEEN-NO, cause I like it and three syllables is more then enough to encode a 8 bit controller. (Old octal joke) ;D

Lefty

Lets just agree and standardize on ARE-DWEEN-NO, cause I like it and three syllables is more then enough to encode a 8 bit controller. (Old octal joke)

LOL

I think what really needs discussed is the whole "Duemilan...", "Dweymila...", "Duwey..." - ah, fuggitit: "2009"

:slight_smile:

Every time I want to reference the full name, I either have to look it up (if I am feeling motivated), or just write "2009" - I can never remember how to spell "Duemilanove" (and it doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, either)...

Think about us poor italians... 90% of the stuff that we buy has english names... (at least in technology)

Now you understand how we feel :slight_smile:

m

I think Duemilanove = Dway-Mee-Lah-No-Vay. At least that's how I say it :).

Was that supposed to be sarcastic? I have distinct recollections of "Lee-nux" vs "Lie-nux" discussions, culminating in an audio recording of Linus saying "My name is Linus Torvalds and I pronounce Linux, Linux". (Obviously the actual audio is a little more useful. )

What would he know, he's foreign :wink:

What about TOY for grown-ups? I tried to explain my wife for weeks what Arduino is, until I said it is a TOY. Now she understands not only what Arduino is, but also my behavior... She doesn't ask any more.

That's fine but you have to remind her that any shoes she owns that represent a duplicate in terms of function - are essentially rather boring toys too*

• Don't say this in the kitchen. Too many knives and other pointy things.

I pronounce it

" 'ow do I know. "

I tried for weeks too, then she asked (ha ha wrong move my dear) what I was doing, so I told her once I get this program running it will do (whatever it was)

"Oh, so its like your own little computer"

YEP! :wink:

This is how you can pronounce the board's name in proper Italian, download the sound file in the format that better suits you:

or

"Add a bit of jazz and swing between the 'Ah' and the 'du' - then say the 'ino' as in "ee no""

Cool, i think that is the better pronunciation for the word ARDUINO.

its made up of two old italian words(latin based) it means "hard-work" and "small" like the English word "arduous" and ino means small...

eddie

oh. interesting...

According to a recent article from wired magazine (in italian) Hai un’idea geniale? Fai come Mr Arduino, regalala. E diventa ricco - Wired.it
The board was named after a pub in the surroundings of the Interaction Design Institute, Ivrea , Tourin , Italy.
Obviously Arduino is not just a pub's name, it's a proper (not so common) noun!

Arduino is still used as a name and surname, in Italy and probably in most european countries. Infact according to a great italian site for name and surnames (in italian) http://www.gens.labo.net/it/nomi/genera.html?nome=arduino :
"It comes from the germanic name, Harduwin or Hardwin, made by hardu-, "strong" and wini, "friend", spread by the tribal population of the Franks in the IXth century, consolidated thanks to the prestige of few saints and the Italian king Arduino d'Ivrea (1002-1015).
The name day can be celebrated the 15th of august in memory of Saint Arduino from Rimini, died in 1009."

As of today this noun has more spread use as a surname
As you can see from the graph here ARDUINO significato origine cognome famiglia | Gens

The name has even more wide spread use when meaning our lovely microcontroller , so let's take this for the first, most important, meaning of the word Arduino !

On a related note, in quite a few of Arduino project-related video clips I've watched, people pronunce "solder" as "sodder"... never heard that before, maybe it's a US thing (I'm English)...

You Brits. Always making trouble...
http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1245261985

Well, I'm Italian and I have no difficult saying it out loud :stuck_out_tongue:

Probably the best way to say it is : "Ard" - "do" - "eeno"

with "Ard" like "Hard" but without the H and "do" like the verb "to do"
I hope this make any sense to you, as I said I'm Italian not English mother tongue.

Ah yes. Well at least I'm not imagining it :slight_smile:

Now don't get me started on "innernet" ;D

Now I finally know!

I just call it 'the microcontroller' or 'that, err, the arduee, oh,whatever. That board I always play with.' It is quite annoying not being able to pronounce arduino.

Grr, you people.

Do I really have to post it again?

There...

/thread