Alternative to the IDE ( !Eclipse )

Hey lads, good afternoon!

Well, its been pouring down here for like 2 weeks now, so as i'm too lazy to get outta home with rainy weather, i'm playing with my arduino. Thing is the IDE is superb when you start of nothing. When you program grows it becomes quite unusable, you don't have navigation, good editor support, language highlighting, nothing! :smiley:

I read something @ google, but everything is quite old. I think it must need makefiles so avr-gcc can cross-compile the code and... thats all I know :confused:

Can someone help me if not pointing the issue out, only directing me to the right place ?

Thanks a lot in advance y'all :smiley:

Cheers,

There are a few alternatives, I've tried a VS2008 based plugin that seems to work well (there's a thread about it here on the forum) and I've seen a thread about an Eclipse-based option as well. (oops just realised you said !eclipse)

I also use Notepad++ and a makefile.

Rob

I'm a bit too lazy to properly setup my build environment, I just use Visual Studio as a standalone editor and the Arduino IDE in external editor mode to compile and load my programs. Only minor issue I've found w/ that workflow is that for some reason it doesn't do proper code folding when opening .pde files, even when they're assigned to the C++ editor. So I just symlink the .pde to a .cpp file and everybody's happy.

extent:
I'm a bit too lazy to properly setup my build environment, I just use Visual Studio as a standalone editor and the Arduino IDE in external editor mode to compile and load my programs. Only minor issue I've found w/ that workflow is that for some reason it doesn't do proper code folding when opening .pde files, even when they're assigned to the C++ editor. So I just symlink the .pde to a .cpp file and everybody's happy.

If you're already using Visual Studio (2008/2010), just install Visual Micro (http://www.visualmicro.com). It's Arduino IDE compatible, works with .pde and .ino files. Compiles, uploads, has a monitor and at any time you can switch back to the Arduino IDE if you prefer.

Iain