Go Down

Topic: Stepper Motor Locking Up (Read 226 times) previous topic - next topic

SpasmaticAA

I have recently begun messing around with a new CNC shield called the Protoneer V3. It uses GRBL to control a set of stepper motors using G-code. Currently however the NEMA 17 motor I am using keeps locking up when I try to make it move via commands. It makes an odd buzzing squealing sound when it tries to move. Please help if you can.

756E6C

Sounds like you are trying to go from zero speed to hyper overdrive instantly, try starting at a low speed and accelerating gradually. Check out the AccelStepper library, it does that for you.

MarkT

May 09, 2017, 05:58 pm Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 05:59 pm by MarkT
You will need to configure GRBL to know the speed and acceleration that your motors can handle.
This configuration needs to be done under mechanical load, since stepper skipping depends on
resonance effects as well as many other factors.
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

sdturner

Make sure the motor is wired correctly and compatible with the shield. Unipolar or Bipolar.

MisterMechanic

I think your should check motor system. May be some disturbance occured while locking up motor.

ATFforklifts

Use GRBL to check speed..

Sounds like you are trying to go from zero speed to hyper overdrive instantly, try starting at a low speed and accelerating gradually. Check out the AccelStepper library, it does that for you.

SpasmaticAA

Okay, I am trying to adjust the speed and acceleration but I do not know where to find those variables within GRBL using the universal G-code sender.

SpasmaticAA

Thanks for your help. I finally got my stepper motors to work. The problem was that I needed to adjust the output voltage on the drivers I was using. Now I can run a least 3 steppers with no issues.

MarkT

Output current, not output voltage.  Steppers are current driven.
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

Go Up