Go Down

Topic: HELP! Xbee to Arduino Direct (no shield) (Read 33 times) previous topic - next topic

Ethanmo43

Jan 04, 2018, 07:47 am Last Edit: Jan 14, 2018, 04:06 pm by Ethanmo43
The project i am working needs to be as compact as possible so I have been trying to get around using a xbee shield. I am using a arduino nano as well. I started by connecting nano 3.3v out to xbee vcc, gnd to gnd, then directly connecting xbee rx to nano tx and xbee tx to nano rx. This kind of works but the data the arduino reads isn't very solid. For example this what I'm sending:
Code: [Select]
Serial.println("1");
delay(1000);

On the receiving side i should get a solid 49, but it jumps around from 49 to 253 to 249. the majority is 49 but the rest get thrown in there randomly.

From there i learned about the voltage differance. So what i understand is, the 3.3v signal from the xbee needs to be bumped up to 5v and the Arduino 5 to 3.3 so the Arduino can read the signal correctly. I'm trying to use the schematics from a working sparkfun xbee sheild. Here The sparkfun board uses two MOSFET's to do the converting. I have built the same circuit (the MOSFET circuit). But im still having the same problem. The schematic shows a 5v to 3.3v circuit using LDO Regulator? Should i be using the arduino nano's 3.3v out to power the xbee?

Go Up