Upgrade Programmers Firmware

@john1993: well, it is just as you say: something is wrong here.. everywhere i look, there is people mentioning the need of firmware upgrade, so it is very likely to suggest this is the cause of the problem.

@hiduino:
i have tracked the trace of pin 5 of the icsp, i am very sure that it won't go to the r3 pads. following the trace will end at the center of the board: the track ends at a hole witch is located underneath the atmega8 chip.
i have made some closeup pictures with an magnifier, and painted the track with my software so it is easier for you to find. you can find both original as painted pictures in this post

A lot of these programmers use resistor pads for jumpering the reset from the 10-pin header to the reset on the ATmega8 chip.

once i flip the board multiple times i notice that the track of jp3 (see earlier photos) on the back of the board will end up at an hole, this hole is located realy close to the r3 pads on the other side, i am not sure, but i think these are conected, it is hard to see. if this is interesting ill look further into it, just need some advice first hehe

Note: They use the term AVRISP as a generic name for ISP programming AVR chips. You have a USBasp programmer, which shows up under Windows.

this is much more clear now. thanks

You can upgrade one with the other. Just connect the 10-pin headers back-to-back with the two programmers. The target programmer should be jumpered with the reset. The programming one will connect normally to USB. Then use avrdude to program.

yes, just as i thought. so i need to find out how to set these jumperes for the reset. and if i cannot find the pads, cant i not just hook up a wire directly to the atmega8 chip's pins?

note: i am confused about the start of the trace from pin5. that is because the trace is 'invisable' for a short distance where the white paint is covering the trace :frowning:

nick