Proposed "sticky" : How to use this forum

PaulS:
And, still nothing about "ALL the code"... :slight_smile:

It says:

Post a complete sketch (program code)!

As suggested by someone, qualified to be "the minimal code that exhibits the problem".

PaulS:
On the issue of posting modified code, should it say something about posting the modified code in a new reply, rather than modifying an earlier post/reply? I find it irritating to have the original munged up code overwritten, so that you can't see what changes were made.

In the After you get a response section, should there be anything about not deleting the thread? I thought that posters could only delete their posts/replies, but apparently, and quite annoyingly, the topic starter can delete the whole topic.

Point 14 above modified to incorporate your suggestions, thanks.

Added extra line to ask for link to any user-downloaded libraries.

Nick, this is spot on with what is needed.
I was about to write a similar post as this, but having just seen this with all the details, you have saved me a heap of time.

The only problem I see with a sticky is that it is not in your face, there are many people who have a problem want an answer fast and they bypass the reading of any sticky. Then it is us who then every time go through the same process of explaining to them some basic concepts, such as how about using CODE brackets or how about even showing us your code.

I was also thinking, how difficult would it be that when a person posts a new topic, he/she will need to go through some check list in an effort to try to make sure the post is posted in the relevant section and that the poster has supplied enough detail in their first post. It will take an extra moment or two, but it will probably tend to sort out the folks who are after a 'Plz help me or I will fail my exam' type'.

In the Home Automation and Network Objects section, I am seeing more posts that I believe should not belong there. Their questions are more aimed at basic fundamental electronics or other circuitry that would be better suited in other sections. The poster must wonder why they get very little response. I guess the same is happening in other section as well.

It appears to me more 'newbies' and or 'noobs' are on active the forum, the humble Arduino is more popular by the day, but that they are many total 'noobs' in forum use as well.

Yes Nick, your idea would be a real step in the right direction, I appreciate the effort you have put into writing your idea up.

Regards,
Paul

P.S.

Nick wrote:
10. Post in proper sentences

This is a forum you are using, not a mobile phone.

As a courtesy to the people you are hoping to have help you, type complete sentences. That is:

Start with a capital letter.
Spell words properly.
Finish with a period (full-stop). (Just the one, thanks!)

Oh yes, I could not agree more and I feel irritated when I see such laziness.
There seems to be a lot of folk who lack articulation in any form of language, extra nooby!

Yes, well we are being told off in another thread by someone who claims to be a moderator on another forum, but can't be bothered to capitalize sentences, use a capital "I" to refer to himself, and is generally rude and abusive.

I was also thinking, how difficult would it be that when a person posts a new topic, he/she will need to go through some check list in an effort to try to make sure the post is posted in the relevant section and that the poster has supplied enough detail in their first post.

I have proposed exactly that to the forum administrators. However as an interim measure at least we have this thread, and if it can be linked to at the head of starting a new thread, all the better.

You can then, at least, say: "see 'How to use this forum' (link) point 5" rather than having to type the whole thing again.

Main post moved to How to use this forum

Suggested link to quote it:

[url=http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,148850.0.html]How to use this forum[/url]

Got it bookmarked. Thanks again Nick, for a super job!

Looks good Nick.

One other thought that came to me was that when a user believes his/her question has been answered that they could mark the topic as being 'SOLVED', by editing the heading of their first post. Maybe for section 14 in your list.

This will help both people who are offering advice, but also other people with a similar problem to clearly see the state of the topic.
It also displays some respect from the original poster that the help received has been helpful.

Thoughts?
Paul

Good idea, I forgot about that. Added that point to the end of things to do when you have a response.

When we encounter posts from people who have obviously not read the sticky first do we -leave it/report it- to moderators so they can inform them or reply ourselves?

I wouldn't bother reporting it. Just reply yourself, link to the sticky, and maybe mention "check point 3" or whatever.

They won't all read it, but this saves you a bit of typing.

I've been doing some of this. If enough folks do, I think it's the best way to capitalize on the work that went into the sticky.

Nick, one wee suggestion. Can the sticky be broken into sections that can be referred to from within an URL? I don't know the name of what I'm thinking of but instead of telling a user to "read section 7 of http://...../" you can say
read http://....../#7
which takes them directly to section 7 - which seems to be the section most new users really need to read :slight_smile:

Pete

The name is an "anchor", but I'm not sure you can make a link to part of a post.

If I break the post into three parts (initial and two replies) rather than two parts, you can make a link to an individual reply.

Maybe it's there, let me experiment:

foo

Try this:

The final post on that page now lists all the anchors:

Excellent. Thanks Nick.

Pete

i must admit, i never read any of that stuff, which is why on my very first post on this forum i did all the wrong things, of which i will apologize for. i also made some jokes in one of the topics someone started about people demanding to be shown how to make an led blink, lol. someone pm'ed to see if i was kidding, i assure you, i was. again, apologies for that. morale of reply? new guys, follow the tips and rules here, noone has to help you, they do on their own free time.