oops, partial toast

I think I partially burnt my 328 from the MintDuino kit. It's still programmed to run the example Blink sketch, but when I swap it into my UNO R3 board it refuses to accept a new program though it still runs the original Blink sketch.
I uploaded the sketch to my good 328 and watched the Rx and Tx LEDs (both Rx and Tx LEDs flash then the D13 LED blinks) and then did the same with the MintDuino 328 (the Rx flashes three times and then the D13 LED does the original Blink sketch)
I changed the sketch to make it blink faster so I could tell if the MintDuino took the new sketch.

will burning the bootloader fix this or do you think I've toasted the Rx/Tx pins on the MintDuino 328?

tia....

Which bootloader did you install on the MintDuino processor?

it was a PRE-installed bootloader from MAKE: I bought it at Radio Shack.

hmmmm, now you got me wondering. let me zip on over to the makershed web site and see what they have.

OK, this is what I found...

Features

• (1) ATmega328P (with Arduino bootloader)*

so it is Arduino compatible but I saw some where else in the forums that there's more than one version of the bootloader.

WinstonP:
so it is Arduino compatible but I saw some where else in the forums that there's more than one version of the bootloader.

Correct.

It's still programmed to run the example Blink sketch...

How did you upload the Blink sketch?

The Blink sketch was pre-loaded. makeshed wanted you to know that the ATmega was working correctly when you put it together.

From a little research I think what you have to do once you install the chip into your Uno board is to select the older Duemilanove w/ ATmega328 in the IDE Tools/Board menu before you upload a sketch, as it appears your chip uses the older bootloader that the Duemilanove uses.

I just got it to work, without even pressing the reset button.

The trick was to select the Arduino Duemilanove w/ ATmega328, I had just been trying Arduino Uno these last few tries.

I think the original problem may have been that I hadn't downloaded the FTDI drivers.

James, thanks for all your advice!

Norm

Lefty

thanks, I found that also, but still nowhere on what speed I should be "talking" at. I added a "board" listing and named it PL2303 and edit it as I find new things. I've changed the baud to 57600 but haven't tried it yet.

WinstonP:
thanks, I found that also, but still nowhere on what speed I should be "talking" at. I added a "board" listing and named it PL2303 and edit it as I find new things. I've changed the baud to 57600 but haven't tried it yet.

Your really don't need to define a new board type. The PL2303 USB converter module will work just fine using the existing Arduino Duemilanove w/ ATmega328 as the board type. If you some reason you do feel the need to create a new board type, below is the details that the Dumilanove bootloader uses.

Lefty

##############################################################

atmega328.name=Arduino Duemilanove w/ ATmega328

atmega328.upload.protocol=arduino
atmega328.upload.maximum_size=30720
atmega328.upload.speed=57600

atmega328.bootloader.low_fuses=0xFF
atmega328.bootloader.high_fuses=0xDA
atmega328.bootloader.extended_fuses=0x05
atmega328.bootloader.path=atmega
atmega328.bootloader.file=ATmegaBOOT_168_atmega328.hex
atmega328.bootloader.unlock_bits=0x3F
atmega328.bootloader.lock_bits=0x0F

atmega328.build.mcu=atmega328p
atmega328.build.f_cpu=16000000L
atmega328.build.core=arduino
atmega328.build.variant=standard

##############################################################

thanx for the heads up but so far nothing is working. is there a "board" type that I can use to plug the MintDuino 328 into my Uno board and upload the bootloader?