Windows 7 (64 bit) USB Serial port probs with OSEPP board

I plugged in a new Uno for the first time to my Windows 7 (64 bit) box and it automatically installed the driver and seemed happy.
Port 3 now shows up in the Arduino IDE with the Uno plugged in and goes away with it unplugged. However, I get the infamous:
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

When trying to run "Blink"

Under "Driver Manager" port 3 shows up as "USB Serial Port (COM3)"
Following the trouble shooting guide and doing a driver update and pointing to the Arduino Drivers directory Windows keeps saying:
"The best driver software for your device is already installed"
"Windows has determined that the driver software for your device is up to date"
"USB Serial Port"

I even downloaded the latest driver from FTDI and get the same thing.

Even when I do an uninstall and plug the Uno back in it reinstalls the same driver and repeats the same errors. I do an uninstall and have it remove the files - same thing. Windows seems to be 100% happy with the driver - I can't seem to update the driver and upload the blink app. Lights are all on the Uno, good cable etc.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Have you selected UNO in Tools/Boards ?

Yes, Uno is selected.
One thing to note is that this is a OSEPP Uno from Fry's Electronics - says "Arduino Compatible"

Also, from the instructions, two thing were different:
Plug in your board and wait for Windows to begin it's driver installation process. After a few moments, the process will fail, despite its best efforts

Mine did not fail but found a driver and Windows said the device was ready

Look under Ports (COM & LPT). You should see an open port named "Arduino UNO (COMxx)"

With the Uno plugged in, I get a COM 3 showing up but it's not named "Arduino UNO (COM3)"
It's named "USB Serial Port (COM3)" and no matter what I do to update that, Windows always says "The best driver software for your device is already installed"

Got it working - on the OSEPP site:
http://osepp.com/learning-centre/start-here/osepp-uno-arduino-compatible/

You have to select a different board:
c. Select the Duemilanove board: Tools > Board > Arduino Duemilanove or Nano w/ ATmega328

The reason for selecting the Duemilanove board instead of the Uno board is due to a known bug in the Uno bootloader. Don’t worry, the functionality is the same!

Yeah!

Thanks so much, I was having this same problem with the OSEPP Uno on my Mac (Lion), I chose the "Arduino Nano w/ATMega 328" on port /dev/tty-usbserial-A900H28R and it worked like a charm.

I'm using 32-bit XP and I can't get this stupid thing to work.. OSEPP Uno Board

the only driver installed was a "USB Serial Converter" but nothing for the board I guess?

in the device manager I have a "USB Serial Port" (with an exclamation point) that came up under "Other Devices" I can't get a driver to load for it, it keeps saying the driver is not needed or that the driver dose not contain information about my hardware.

I tried ALL of the board options in the list, I also only have "COM 1" option in the Serial Port List....

I joined the OSEPP forum but I'm still waiting on someone to approve my membership and it taken awhile already.

I have no other ideas at this point..

Oh, I also get the: avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

thanks...

Well I had to manually install it as a COM port, then Update the Driver, and the updated driver was in the FTDI USB Drivers directory..

now I have a blinking light :smiley: