Zwave

hello all...

im interested in arduino and zwave projects, but since i'm not an expert (not even close) and after some research and i found this and i wonder if its of any use for arduino...

this is the datasheet for the ZM3102N Z-Wave Module based on the ZW0301 Z-Wave Single Chip.

i believe that the chip can be purchased for less than 4,50$ each. http://www.z-wavealliance.org/modules/iaCM-ZW-PR/readMore.php?id=28311552

"...The ZM3102 will cost less than $4.50 in volume.[DWF1] ..."

maybe the more expert people can tell if this is good intel or not... anyway, just trying to help :slight_smile:

Thanks

DigiKey.com has them for $6.68.25, if you buy 1000. Single units are $12.38 and the first price break is 25 units ($10.1476 each)

When, back in 2006, they predicted "The ZM3102 will cost less than $4.50 in volume." they might have been thinking of much higher volumes.

The ZM3102N has flash memory for the Z-Wave stack and the application. I would imagine that the $4.50 price was targeted at OTP (one time program) applications for real quantities. But $12 is not bad in small quantities to get a project off the ground.

I have a Vera-2 controller and about 45 devices in my home, including light switches, dimmers, switched electric outlets, thermostat, key-entry, door and window sensors, occupation sensors, etc. The applications where I would be interested in building an Arduino ZWave shield would be for special sensors and controls.

Sensors on my wish list:

1. Water detection sensors for under the sinks in the bathrooms and kitchen, under the hot water heater and in the basement.
  2. Doorbell detector or panic button
  3. Garage door closed sensor

Controls

1. Garage door close/open contact for digital garage door systems.
  2. Electric consumption status display / Custom scene controller
  3. TV/Stereo IR blaster

What custom sensors and controls did you have in mind?

Check this one. It's a zwave compatible board with Z-Wave support.

That eBay transmitter is just a Transmitter that sends and receives on the same frequency and will NEVER work for z-wave communication.

So, looking at the ZM3102N module, and the power of Arduino, I am thinking about developing some code to start using it for 'all-in-one' devices that are targeted to all-world audience rather than specific regions that currently exits for retail devices. Basically, the code and Arduino stays the same, but the sensors and specific ZM3102N module changes.

What I am looking at is a:

1. Sensor discovery routine;
  2. Z-wave integration;
    a. Hardware (pins)
  • Antenna
  • I/O
  • Power
    b. Software
  • ????

As you can see, there's a big hole in my knowledge of z-wave software integration, which is mainly because the SDK for z-wave costs US$5k! I will msg sigma to see if they have anything already developed for Arduino integration.

The thread is old, but now there is a solution for what you want: https://z-uno.z-wave.me

Z-Uno is an Arduino IDE compatible board. It have Z-Wave on board and can be programmed like an Arduino in the same language.

Context:

I have 3 flats and 2 farm houses. I want to track the electricity consumption and turn on/off at will using my mobile(Azure portal).

I am an Azure Programmer and designed few reports by myself. I want Arduino based hardware which can feed electricity consumption live data to these Azure reports using this Arduino hardware. Also, I would like to send commands from Azure program to the Arduino hardware and turn on/off the power connection at the electricity meter.

Needs

1. I need to have an Arduino based hub which will be connected to internet at my router and can feed data to my Azure program.
  2. A z-wave controller need to be installed at the electricity meter to read the consumption and send the live data to my azure program through the installed hub.
  3. Electricity meter emits the reading using an IR blaster
  4. Z wave controller need to have IR receiver to read this data.
  5. Z wave controller at the meter should be able to receive the commands from the hub to turn on/off power connection
  6. Z wave controller should run on the power derived from the line at meter.
  7. Hub should have provision to register/de-register z wave electricity meter device.
  8. Hub should be extendible to accept more z wave controller device registrations such as existing z wave devices in the market to control lights, fans e.t.c
  9. Hub should be of 2 types.
    a. USB version to plug in to an existing internet router. It should be able to derive the power and internet from the router
    b. A standalone version with inbuild GSM slot to insert SIM card for internet and power supply.
  10. Hub should have a configuration interface to facilitate connecting to a local network and to my azure program using a unique ID
    Instead of Arduino based hardware, If you want to offer a better solution using a micro controller based approach to facilitate data feed to azure, I am open for ideas.

This is My Idea and I need help in getting this done , If anyone has done such project or have better idea to do this in simplified way please help me.