Cutting Female Headers

Hi,

I have this type of female header pins http://store.gadgetfactory.net/images/tn_Female_Header_2.jpg, each piece having 40 pins.
The question is how do I cut them without breaking them to hard?

Best regards,
RobertEagle

A small saw? You lose one pin when you cut them.

I use my wire cutter and it works just fine. Sometime one side is not quite even to the other but I haven't had them shatter or anything. You always lose a pin so I cut right through the pin I intend to lose. My wire cutter is very similar to this one:

I use wire cutters too, and then file the edge so it looks better.

You can also use http://www.dipmicro.com/store/HDR40X1FM, which looks easier to snap.

Oracle:

You can also use 40-pin 1-row 0.1” PCB Female Machined Round Header - dipmicro electronics, which looks easier to snap.

I have found these work great for ICs but don't admit larger pins like the ones on LED matricies. So be forewarned on that.

JoeN:
I have found these work great for ICs but don't admit larger pins like the ones on LED matricies. So be forewarned on that.

Great, I have these on order right now for some LED matrices. I guess it also won't admit the larger headers in an arduino nano then which is the other thing I wanted them for..

machined sockets are very tight and I generally dont like them, but you can do it

back to the op

use a saw, many hobby and craft stores sell razor saws (large razor blades with teeth), very handy

Osgeld:
machined sockets are very tight and I generally dont like them, but you can do it

back to the op

use a saw, many hobby and craft stores sell razor saws (large razor blades with teeth), very handy

Well, maybe I just didn't want to force them. They didn't go easily into the machined headers, didn't seem to want to go at all, and fit nicely and snugly into the cheapo headers - a perfect fit, so that is what I use. I got them both from Taydaelectronics.com. The matrices are 60x60mm ones and the pins are relatively sturdy, maybe to mechanically hold the matrix in better. Hopefully it works for you.

Oracle:

You can also use 40-pin 1-row 0.1” PCB Female Machined Round Header - dipmicro electronics, which looks easier to snap.

I had too this type of headers. They were perfect, because you could cut them easily with a wire cutter without breaking anything.

Now, I have a wire cutter, and a retractable sharp blade.
What do you think about it?

RobertEagle:

Oracle:

I had too this type of headers. They were perfect, because you could cut them easily with a wire cutter without breaking anything.

Now, I have a wire cutter, and a retractable sharp blade.
What do you think about it?

For these breakaway headers all you need to do is use two pair of needlenose pliers and twist the pins between where you want it to break and it will break evenly and cleanly with no problems at all. The only issues are that they are more expensive and seem too snug for certain types of components. Other than that, they are heaven to work with.

The machined round female headers take upto 0.025" round pins/wires typically - the larger female headers are designed for 0.025" square pins - which don't fit the round (machined) female headers, something about a square peg in a round hole comes to mind. In general I'd recommend the larger headers unless you know the smaller ones will fit (such as for IC pins).

I think I'll try my wire cutters next time, but I have just been using a hobby knife to score between pins, and breaking it with my hands. Wire cutters might be cleaner though!