SMS messaging system/data matching

hello,
I need some help and maybe pointing the right direction. (website/tec/forum/something which could emulate this)

I want to do a project where a user can send a SMS(texting) message to a database/sever which then sends a message back to the phone if any results are found on the database. The information i wish to use will be names, ages and possibly places. It will of course need a way for names and ages to be added and stored to the data base, which also needs to be through SMS messaging. Also if any results are found the retuning message will need to send the number which the information came from.

Side note this project dose not need to have an Arduino with in it, i fault this would be a good place to start researching what tec/methods are availably to create this.

hopefully this makes sense but if any confusion leave a comment.

p.s not quite sure if this is quite the place to be putting this here

Thanks in advance,
62nights.

It is easy enough to buy a device which will communicate with the cell phone system and handle SMS messages.

You can interface to such a device with an arduino or a regular computer.

An arduino isn't really the device to use to run a database system on, so I'd focus on using a regular computer and
learning how to interface a phone system device to it.

We did something similar to this recently. We setup an SMS gateway, which is a phone number that receives SMS messages and for each one, calls a php script running on a web server. It passes the original phone number and message to the script. Very simple to setup. The php script relayed the messages to a Pi that converted the messages into commands that it then executed on an Arduino Mega. We were letting visitors to our maker faire booth control the light and pump in our hydroponic exhibit by using their smartphones. Very cool.

To send messages back to the origin, you would need to use a similar gateway service, but I believe they are really inexpensive. Let me know if you need technical details.

Peace,
Tyler
tyler [at] hapihq.com
http://hapihq.com