Ethernet Shield vs network Switch

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to connect an Arduino with an Ethernet Shield to my internal network through a Sitecom network switch and it's not sending any packet to the network.

When I connect the shield directly to the source cable it connects fine and I also have other Arduinos using similar code connected to other switches working fine.

If this is a switch problem how can I modify the Arduino code in order to get it working independently of the switch used?

Thanks

Unless there's something very unusual about a Sitecom switch (never heard of them), it should just work. Are you using a known good cable? Is the port you're connecting to also known to work? I also don't honestly know if the shield is 10 Mb only, or if it will connect to 100 Mb Ethernet, but if your switch is a managed switch, the port settings might be set to something incompatible.

Mine are hooked to a D-Link DES-1105 switch, which in turn is hooked to a router, and indeed they just work, as they do if connected directly to the router. It looks like they connect at 100Mbps.

I'd try plugging a PC into the switch to see if that works.

The switch is working fine as I have two PC's connected to it. When I connect the same Arduino to other switches it communicates almost instantly...

The switch I'm using is a Sitecom LN-118v1 5-Port Network Switch (http://www.sitecom.com/network-switch-5-port/p/681).

I can't see in the switch specs any reason why the Arduino is not working with it, am I missing something here?

You wouldn't have more than one Arduino with the same MAC address connected to your switch?
Or a MAC address that happens to be magic (low bit in first byte set?)

westfw:
You wouldn't have more than one Arduino with the same MAC address connected to your switch?
Or a MAC address that happens to be magic (low bit in first byte set?)

I only have that Arduino and 2 PC's connected to the switch. The current MAC address is the one from the example.

I'm getting pretty desperate, right now the only way out seems to replace the switch for one known to work...

Given that you only have one arduino with that address, you should be OK. Ethernet addresses need to be unique in your LAN. Even if you had more, you should get a link light. Are you getting a link light on the switch? You say only one Arduino on this switch, but you earlier mentioned other Arduinos on other switches. Are they on the same LAN (i.e. on the same side of one router)? Everything within a LAN must have a unique ethernet address. If your shields are new enough to have an address sticker, use that in your sketch rather than the "fake" one.

i have the same problem , i cant connect through the switch and not get ping but the shield can connect directly to the pc and work fine. please help me.

Hello,
I also had this problem.
If the shield is like in the picture below and works when connected to a PC, it does not work via the switch.

https://goo.gl/images/6odf56

Just take two 100 ohm resistors and solder on the board as in the image below.

https://goo.gl/images/8egqK5

Have fun at work.
Regards