Eclipse large HEX file size

Isn't Eclipse reporting the free space left, as it looks like it.

That is the msg from Eclipse:
AVR Memory Usage

Device: atmega328p

Program: 13348 bytes (40.7% Full)
(.text + .data + .bootloader)

Data: 487 bytes (23.8% Full)
(.data + .bss + .noinit)

and if I un-comment both Serial lines I get:

AVR Memory Usage

Program: 1228 bytes (3.7% Full)
(.text + .data + .bootloader)

Data: 15 bytes (0.7% Full)
(.data + .bss + .noinit)

Can you tell us what the compiler command is from Eclipse? Perhaps it doesn't turn optimization on? And what GCC version is installed with it?

--
The Quick Shield: breakout all 28 pins to quick-connect terminals

Cannot figure out the avr-gcc version, but the the avr-gcc.exe has a date modified 01/19/2010.

Here my compiler properties:

AVR Compiler

• Debugging: Generate Debugging Info: No debugging info
  • Optimization: Optimization Level: to Size Optimizations
  • All options: -Wall -Os -fpack-struct -fshort-enums -std=gnu99 -funsigned-char -funsigned-bitfields -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000UL

AVR C++ Compiler

• Debugging: 'Generate Debugging Info': No debugging info.
  • Optimization: 'Optimization Level': Size Optimizations
  • All options: -Wall -Os -fpack-struct -fshort-enums -funsigned-char -funsigned-bitfields -fno-exceptions -mmcu=atmega328p -DF_CPU=16000000UL

AVR C++ Linker

• Command: avr-gcc
  • Command line pattern: ${COMMAND} --cref -s -Os ${OUTPUT_FLAG}${OUTPUT_PREFIX}${OUTPUT} ${INPUTS} -lm ${FLAGS}
  • All options: -Wl,-Map,Test.map,--cref -L"H:\Users\rxklein\Development\Eclipse\libraries" -mmcu=atmega328p

Try adding -ffunction-sections and -fdata-sections to the compile flags.

--

now down to:

AVR Memory Usage

Program: 10468 bytes (31.9% Full)

but still around 7000 bytes too large.

How about -fno-rtti

--

no, did not work, re-compiled "clean" the ArduinoCore lib and project, entered your proposed settings. I hope I am not doing anything wrong, I enter the settings under
AVR C++ Linker -> General -> Other Arguments

Can we see the Test.map file? It might be pretty big so maybe post it somewhere like pastebin.

--

sure you can see it, it's 120kB or 9kB-zipped, but how can I attach or paste it ?

You can post it at pastebin.com

--

it is here: http://pastebin.com/zetFw5EM

Looks like a large part of the code is due to floating-point support being linked in though your code doesn't do any floating point math. That's a bit of a mystery to me.

--

for completeness the source and header: http://pastebin.com/NFL1iLZg

I followed the cook book according to first post to compile the ArduinoCore lib
copied the lib file into my Eclipse/libraries folder
linked the lib into my project.

While compiling the ArduinoCore I got 20 warning messages but nothing to worry about: something like comparison between signed and un-signed int.

Hmm, I don't know exactly what Eclipse is doing but it looks like it is precompiling the entire Arduino library. If so, it's likely compiling in all the floating-point support routines just in case they're needed, whereas the Arduino IDE only compiles in what a particular sketch needs.

--

That could make sense I'll do some testing around it and will include all files direct into a project w/o using a lib.
Keep you posted about the outcome (after my beauty sleep)
I am still wondering if I am the only guy using Eclipse and sees that something is wrong.

Its really touching a lot of files.

I'm seeing the same problem with my shiny new Eclipse/WinAVR installation. I was going to start a similar thread, and then I saw this one. I'm anxious to find a solution since I like using the Eclipse environment.

Jim

Results of the test:
Included the Arduino lib files into an Eclipse project. Added main.h and main.cpp as above.
Project properties according to the cook book (see post 1)
And voila: the HEX file size increased to 17kB.

I opened a thread in SourceForge to see if they have an idea which switches to set: AVR Plugin for Eclipse / Discussion / General Discussion: HEX file size with Arduino Core lib

In between I tested a good concept idea (but far way to call it beta release) from this gentleman: http://code.google.com/p/avr-project-ide/wiki/Help. Same code, same compilers generate the expected 2.6kB like Arduino IDE.

Keep you posted and still happy for receiving any advice.

Try adding -ffunction-sections and -fdata-sections to the compile flags.

I think this was the right idea, but there's a match set of options that you need to add to the link command. Ummm:
"-Wl,--gc-sections" or "--gc-sections" (depending on whether it uses some version of gcc as the linker command, or uses "ld" directly.)

the quoted compiler options cause each function and piece of data to be put in its own linker section. The linker option causes any sections that aren't reference from some other section to be omitted. Or something like that.