ShiftMatrix, Dreaming Big Video Display

Alright, video it is!

I am not sure if you will be able to make it all out as I filmed it close up with a piece of paper as a diffuser. Here is the way it looked when I first connected it up. This is using the same scaling that is in the Bad Apple video (The all red one). It is simply reading the RGB values as 0-255 and dividing by 8 to get 0-31.

As I posted before I was very disappointed with the above result. Everything was washed out and it was hard to make out what was being drawn to the matrix. I did a lot of research and changed the way it output values. It still gave me value between 0 and 31 but it weighted it differently. Its difficult to explain but simply our eyes are better at discerning the difference between PWM 1 and PWM 2. But now so good at seeing the difference between PWM 30 and PWM 31(this is using my 32 level system, this also holds true on 0-255 PWM systems). So with adjustments made the results look like this.

This looked a lot better. It should be a lot easier to make out the red for example in the video above than the one above it.

I know I haven't put up the processing code yet. I have done HEAPS of tweaking to it over the last month. Hopefully I am close to posting it soon. But here is a quick video of what I show on the screen. I allowed me to get things setup correctly even without having the Arduino and the matrix hooked up.

In the top left is the original frames playing in their native size. Beside that is the down-scaled version, in this case it is 16x16 then doubled in size so you can see it. Below those is a representation of what should be output to the RGB matrix display.

As an aside, when I post up the processing code would you prefer it for single colour or RGB, as they are a bit different? Or would you prefer to see both?

I am now ready to move out of testing and to start building the large scale matrix itself. As I said before I am planning to go 64x64 mono. But I am scared that it will be huge(I was planning to use Peg Board as a pre-drilled base board) as it is looking like it will be about 2m x 2m in size. I might chicken out a bit and bring it back to 48x48 mono.....just not sure. Pricing lots of LED's now. I don't suppose anyone knows a good source for 4500 LED's at a cheap price, for delivery to Australia. Other than Ebay that is.
So any other comments or queries?