[Beginer] How can I use my LCD to display the Serial.print() and Serial input

Good morning.

I just get a LCD with 16 col and 4 ligns

I would like to use it to display the Welcome text and all Serial input and all Serial.print().

I am woriking with Arduino Uno.

I imported the library

#include <LiquidCrystal.h>

First issue:
and at the setup() I enter this

lcd.begin(16, 4);

// set the cursor to column 0, line 1
  // (note: line 1 is the second row, since counting begins with 0):
  lcd.setCursor(0, 0);
  // Print a message to the LCD.
  lcd.print("****************"); // Display 16x* at the first lign
  lcd.print("*** Wellcome ***"); // Display those 16 caracter at the lign 2
  lcd.print("*** to iBip ****"); // Display those 16 catacters at the lign 3
  lcd.print("***************"); // Display those 16 starts at the last lign

delay(5000);
  lcd.clear(); // Clear the screen

As there is 16 col, I suppose the nect caracter will go to the second lign, but it does not goe to the 3 lign.

Then I tried to use

lcd.setCursor(0, 1);
  lcd.print("*** Wellcome ***"); // Display those 16 caracter at the lign 2
lcd.setCursor(0, 2);
  lcd.print("*** to iBip ****"); // Display those 16 catacters at the lign 3
lcd.setCursor(0, 1);  
lcd.print("***************"); // Display those 16 starts at the last lign

But it work only for the 2nd lign. The third lign is displayed form the 7col......

Second problem

I want to diaplay the Serial input. I have that function which display in Terminal

String getMessage() {
  String s="";
  while(1) {
    if(cell.available()>0) {
      s = s+(char)cell.read();
      if (s.length()>1 && s[s.length()-2]=='\r' && s[s.length()-1]=='\n') { // if last 2 chars are \r\n
        if (s==" \r\n" || s=="\r\n") { // skip these, move on
          s="";
        }
        else { // we have a message!
          #ifdef DEBUG
          Serial.println(s.substring(0,s.length()-2));
          #endif
          lcd.print(s.substring(0,s.length()-2));

return s.substring(0,s.length()-2);
        }
      }
    }
  }
}

It works but I want to have each new message in a new lign.

Third problem
When my display is full. When all lign are showing a message. I would to have the

• The Second lign displayed at the lign 1
  • The third lign display at lign 2
  • The last lign displaed at lign 3
  • The new message at lign 4.

How can I do it??

I check autoscroll, but auto scroll display the carater after the last and not a a new lign.

In fact, I would like to have exactely what does the terminal, but in a LCD.

Could you help me for my first LCD task??
Do you know some tutorials

Many thank

Is there not a function like this

lcd.println(s.substring(0,s.length()-2));

Which place the cursor to a new lign after the end of the message and move up the displayed text if it take 4 lign?

Part of your problem stems from the characteristics of the display and part from a deficiency in the LiquidCrystal library.

The display was not designed to replace a CRT or LCD display such as that on a computer. It was designed to display short messages such as 'add toner' or 'fire in zone 3' and there was no real need to implement the or control codes.

Also, due to the memory implementation required by the vintage of the controller, you will find that the display will proceed from line 1 to line 3, then to line 2, and finally to line 4. To find out more about the reasons for this you can follow the LCD Addressing link at http://web.alfredstate.edu/weimandn.

The reason for the 7 column offset on two of the lines is due to the fact that the LiquidCrystal library does not use the correct starting addresses for those lines on a 16x4 display.

Some of these problems were addressed when the LiquidCrystal440 library was developed a few years ago. To get a copy start here:--> Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting. and follow the Downloads link to get to the latest version.

There is also a 'new' LiquidCrystal replacement library available that probably deals with at least some of these issues as well. You can find information about that library here --> https://bitbucket.org/fmalpartida/new-liquidcrystal/wiki/Home <--.

Don