2000 volts through an LED, no resistor.

This fellow puts 2000 volts through an LED. It doesn't last long.

They dont make resistors like they used to :slight_smile:

couldnt he find an 82k 50 watt resistor in the drawer ?

Isn't it tantalum caps that go bang hooked in reverse?

I thonk you must have missed out on some fun in your youth GoForSmoke :slight_smile:

Normal electrolytics used to make a great explosion, even now with the precut cross on the top they can still explode or make a hissing smoke stream as the can ruptures at the top.

In my youth it was KClO3, S and Al powder and once I had a kilo of Na metal. Later on I learned how much safer KClO4 and Al are. I don't compare exploding capacitors to any of those.

When I was about 14, I was in the garage switching on a power supply I had just built for the old "19 set" tank wireless from army surplus store.
I had the headphones on, and there was a delay as the rectifier valve warmed up and put 300 volts on the main electrolytic capacitor ( that I had wired reversed )
The hum started building in my ears, and my Dad proudly walked into the garage with his mate to show off what a boffin his son was.

The bang was deafening, the can of the cap shot down the garage, followed by a spiral of smoking aluminium foil.

I don't think Dad ever mentioned my hobby to his mates after that.

" Later on I learned how much safer KClO4 and Al are"

I am useless at chemistry, is that the mix that catches light when a drop of water gets on it ?
I know it was crystalized something or other with aluminium filings.

tants will also explode and burn if abused

The guy had two hundred and forty-bleeping-four used 9V batteries on hand?!!?!!?

The LEDs were actually a rather anti-climactic yawn. What was really amazing about that video is that he had enough uncluttered space to plug all those batteries together and lay them out flat.

Now if he'd put his tongue on it, that would have been interesting.

Like those Darwin awards.