Arduino Mega, PID, PWM, SSR, DC load

Hi guys, newbie here! :slight_smile:

I just ordered an Arduino Mega and will be using it for temperature control. I will be heating a small volume of air to setpoint using NiCr80 heating wire.
I hope to control this using the PID library and having the Arduino output to one of the DO PWM ports.
The load, heater wire, can be powered using either DC or AC, I have chosen DC.

I am a little confused on SSR and PWM. Some threads have identified this can be problematic... but I think only for AC loads.

I have chosen the following SSR;
Opto22 DC60S5
http://www.opto22.com/site/pr_details.aspx?cid=4&item=DC60S5

The specs say this SSR has a
Turn-on Time 100 usec
Turn-off Time 750 usec

I understand the Arduino's PWM to operate at 490 Hz ~2msec

It appears to me that this SSR is capable of accepting a PWM input and switching fast enough to power the heater wires.

Am I missing anything??

The turn off time of that SSR is almost as long as half a cycle at the PWM frequency, so you won't get very good control at low PWM values. However, as the application is a heater, you could reduce the PWM frequency to 50Hz or even 10Hz, that way the long turn off time will not be a problem.

Hopefully, it's just the opto isolator in the SSR that is turning off slowly, not the mosfet.

Hrm.... with a 50% duty cycle would the signal cut off in the middle of a PWM wave, or would it be on for the first wave and off for the next wave?

If the first scenario is true, then I agree, the SSR wouldn't be adequate for low PWM values at the stock PWM frequency.
However, if the second scenario is true, the SSR would be OK. Assuming a 10% duty cycle the signal would be on for the first wave, and off for the next nine.

SSR rated for AC service typically utilizes thyristor devices (SCRs or a Triac) to perform the electrical switching. Such devices can only start conduction randomly, but cannot stop conduction as that is done only when AC voltage source passes a 'zero crossing' every 8.333 millisecond. Also most common SSR only turn on (if commanded to) at zero crossings rather then randomly. So when you analyze that timing restrictions you should understand why most PWM control using SSRs are at a very slow switching speeds often using a 10 second PWM window, which is fine for most temperature control loops.

Lefty