The FTDI basic breakout header should NOT be SMD = AVRDUDE sync error

Hi,

If you have tried everything else, and are still getting errors like "not in sync", read this.

The older version of the FTDI board had proper through-hole soldered pins. The 6 pin header socket on the latest verison is surface mounted!! This is a terrible design, and a poor way to save a few cents. The 2nd or 3rd time I plugged it in, it wouldn’t talk to the Arduino. I closely examined it, and found the track had been broken on the 1st and 2nd solder pads.

This is no surprise, as it is a mechanical component, soldered to pads at the end of hair-width traces on the board, and has no mechanical structural support. It only took a slight lift as I handled it to break 2 tracks. I am not a clumsy person, and was very disappointed to see it was destroyed in about 2 hours.

All it needed was to be glued to the board and this would have been avoided, or remain with the through-hole pins. It is very poor design. I have no way to repair such a small circuit trace. I have managed to get it to work, but it is very ugly and will not last long.

@Sparkfun - Please revise your motives for making the header socket SMD. It is poor design.

Aren't those made by folks like sparkfun, and not supplied by the Arduino folks?

Thanks, updated.