Rounding a variable to the nearest quarter

So I'm working on a project that includes reading out a distance from a Ping))) sensor to a 16x2 lcd. I have the prototype done on my board and the code works brilliantly... a little too brilliantly. Using the double variable the lcd is displaying the inches rounded to the nearest 100th, however I want the lcd to display to the nearest quarter inch instead. For example; if ping.inches() returns 3.81 inches, I want it to display 4 inches instead by rounding up to the nearest .25.

Getting it to round to the nearest whole number is easy (replace "double" with "int"), but that's not accurate enough...

Any guidance on how this can be accomplished would be much appreciated!

Here is the code too in case you wanna check it out:

#include <Ping.h>
#include <LiquidCrystal.h>

LiquidCrystal lcd(12,11,5,4,3,2);
const int buttonPin = 8;
Ping ping = Ping(7,0,0);
double tareDist;
double constDist;
double curDist;
int val = 0;

void setup() {
  pinMode(buttonPin, INPUT);
  lcd.begin(16,2);
  ping.fire();
  constDist = ping.inches(); 
  tareTheDist();
}

void loop() {  
  lcd.setCursor(0,0);
  lcd.print("Patient's Ht:   ");
  lcd.setCursor(0,1);  
  val = digitalRead(buttonPin);  
  if (val == HIGH){
  tareTheDist();
  }
  ping.fire();
  constDist = ping.inches();
  lcd.print(tareDist-constDist);
  lcd.print(" inches     ");
  delay(500);
  val == LOW;
}

void tareTheDist(){
    tareDist = constDist;
    lcd.setCursor(0,0);
    lcd.print("------TARE------");
    lcd.setCursor(0,1);
    lcd.print("--Please Wait!--");
    delay(1000);
}

keyboardbandit:
So I'm working on a project that includes reading out a distance from a Ping))) sensor to a 16x2 lcd. I have the prototype done on my board and the code works brilliantly... a little too brilliantly. Using the double variable the lcd is displaying the inches rounded to the nearest 100th, however I want the lcd to display to the nearest quarter inch instead. For example; if ping.inches() returns 3.81 inches, I want it to display 4 inches instead by rounding up to the nearest .25.

Getting it to round to the nearest whole number is easy (replace "double" with "int"), but that's not accurate enough...

Any guidance on how this can be accomplished would be much appreciated!

I think this is what you are looking for: Rounding - Wikipedia

lcd.print((int)(((tareDist-constDist)*4.0)+0.5)/4.0);

Multiply by 4.
Add 0.5 and truncate to get to the nearest integer.
Divide by 4.0.

Alternatively you could add 0.125, multiply by 4, truncate, and divide by 4.0. Same effect.

Wow... math is amazing!

I do a lot of monkey math. Math was never my strong suite, I learned what I needed for the work I did... however If I could buy a box of math now... I'd Buy a case...

Doc

Start by getting a pre-algebra school book (even an old one), read the chapters and -do the exercises-. By the time you're done you'll understand a whole lot about math in -usable terms- and things like division ("the relational operator") will never seem the same. It might be all you need.

Docedison:
If I could buy a box of math now... I'd Buy a case...

Doc

Why buy a case when you can get the warehouse-ful for free? :slight_smile: