Hotair re-work station, what temps, any tips?

I bought a new re-flow station off ebay last week and jumped in and
started trying it out. I just realize the temp LED is marked in Celsius
not Fahrenheit. :frowning: :frowning: (Yea... I know big mistake). I was thinking
it was 375F and I've had some problems with chips that I think
are heat related.

At 375C it works quickly, less than 30 seconds to re-flow.

What kind of air temps does everyone use?
How about nozzle size and airflow?
How long should it takes to re-flow?

Any tips so I don't fry anything else? :slight_smile:

the temp LED is marked in Celsius
not Fahrenheit

Yes no one uses Fahrenheit for scientific stuff not even Americans. :wink:

It depends what you are doing but 30 seconds sounds a bit long, you should be closer to 15 - 20 seconds but it depends on the chip size you are trying to solder. For simple passive components 5 to 5 seconds is closer to the mark.

Tips - use deflector shields (sheet material) to protect adjacent components.
Keep the nozzle size as small as you can.
Keep air flow to as small as you can.

Kapton tape works really well for protecting other components during hot air/IR rework.

Yes no one uses Fahrenheit for scientific stuff not even Americans.

I do :slight_smile: I prefer a standard thread nut/bolt any day especially an AN bolt/nut.

Yes no one uses Fahrenheit for scientific stuff not even Americans.

Correct, any true nerd, including Americans, know that one should use the Rankine scale, much better range (Yes no one uses Fahrenheit for scientific stuff not even Americans.) :wink:

Lefty

Correct, any true nerd, including Americans, know that one should use the Rankine scale, much better range (Yes no one uses Fahrenheit for scientific stuff not even Americans.)

school days we were a bunch of hicks... "100 degree is gun be hot out tommorow y'all know." :slight_smile:
I liked sience but stuck to standard... Anyways I haven't messed with hot air rework only standard soldering iron. Everything is in celcius but for me I prefer Fahrenheit.... Just my 2 cents