Custom USB name

Hello,

I want to use a custom name what shows up in the devicemanager etc. on a project I'm making. It uses the FT232 breakout board from sparkfun. How can I make so a different name shows up. For example "My project" insteed of the normal "USB to Serial converter.

Also, if I need a custom PID for this, there can I get one what not costs $2000 and is a complete VID. I just need to have my custom name and if needed ONE PID.

JanD

Looks like you need MProg utility from http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Utilities.htm

or newer software there i've never used. MProg works, and changes device string. If you will change VID/PID by yourself nothing will happen, you will just loose the driver & connection to MProg. Fun, isn't it? I did so and had to play with .inf files and registry to get control back.
Good news - same utility changes the value of power requested by USB device which may be handy.

MProg works

A step by step guide to this is to be found as part of:-

http://www.thebox.myzen.co.uk/Hardware/Mini_Monome.html

I found FT_Prog from FTDI. After reading the user guide for some time I tried to change the Product Description to "TiTaGreMo - SSF Timing" I right clicked on the device and then on "Program device". After that I opened up the Device manager on windows but under the category Ports (COM and LPT) ports my device still stood as "USB Serial Port". What have I done wrong? How do I do it right?

JanD

if you not changed PID of device you have to use the same driver (within WIN$) and same registry entry. Deinstall all related, install once more, or install on fresh system, that's the only way to user to find out if the product ID was changed. Or set up some software to query/poll your USB devices & rewrite the registry

JanD:
I found FT_Prog from FTDI. After reading the user guide for some time I tried to change the Product Description to "TiTaGreMo - SSF Timing" I right clicked on the device and then on "Program device". After that I opened up the Device manager on windows but under the category Ports (COM and LPT) ports my device still stood as "USB Serial Port". What have I done wrong? How do I do it right?

JanD

Programming the device name only effects the display name when windows doesn't have an associated driver for a device. Once it locates the PID/VID/Ver in the drivers INF file, it will use the driver-specified names and call it what the driver installer wants.

In order to change that, modify the driver .INF you will ship with your device. On your machine, you will need to uninstall the device from Device manager to uninstall the driver, and then un-plug and re-insert the device with your new driver INF ready.

Looks like you need MProg utility from http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Utilities.htm

I have a setup with minimum three moteinos that communicates with each other over RF, knowing to which port I had to program which binaries was using half my brain

I'm running MacOS so I had to run FT_Prog (replacement for MProg) on a //VM
I changed to Serial number from [Auto] to a short string of my own and flashed.
I now have three tty port each with a name that matches the node they are attached to and those name configured un PlatformIO... It works brilliantly !

Many many many thanks !