LCD restrictions

Hi are there any restictions on the sort of LCD i can use with an arduino 2560
I have a 15" colour lcd from a broken laptop that i would like to use, if it has a built in inverter i see no reason that the wiring and code would be any different except for resolution, and obviously power.

can anyone with experience please confirm.

P.S. this is my first post and I dont have my board yet...its on order, cant wait

i see no reason that the wiring and code would be any different except for resolution

There are (far) more pixels in your screen than there is memory in the ATmega processor. If you have a separate controller that is managing the screen, you might be able to use it.

if the arduino wont do it, what board would you recomend that will power something like that straight out of the box?
or anti static bag to be more presise.

im gonna persevere with the arduino as a learning curve but i will need something that will do this eventually.

thanks for your reply

So you are looking to use an LCD to display information but you don't want to use a computer for it? You know things are much easier if you used a computer, lots of memory lots of software and what not. If you still insist, you should think about using a standalone LCD monitor, not a panel from a broken laptop. Finding how to talk to the panel will be impossible.

If you take a standalone monitor, then use a demo board, you can run some simple videos on the monitor and can possibly accept a few button pushes. This beagleboard may help:
http://beagleboard.org/

Along the lines of lidur's idea... a single-board computer (SBC) with integrated LCD controller. You'll still need to find a LCD that is compatible with that particular controller and that isn't always simple.

Or you get a standard off the shelf screen and now you are just driving VGA. Still more than the Arduino can do.

It's the sort of thing you might be able to do with a propeller chip.

I was looking at the Parallax C3, it seems this thing is pretty much brand new.
I'm a bit concerned about buying it if support and knowledge is low

todda:
Hi are there any restictions on the sort of LCD i can use with an arduino 2560
I have a 15" colour lcd from a broken laptop that i would like to use, if it has a built in inverter i see no reason that the wiring and code would be any different except for resolution, and obviously power.

You may be able to buy a driver board (off ebay) to give it VGA or component input - people have then controlled both VGA and component video with an arduino.

I use this http://microvga.com/
no hi-res 80x40 pixels i think, it's good for showing debug info and register states or just displaying any text, has SPI and Serial bus and displays on a VGA monitor and has Arduino Library support.
I nearly forgot to mention, it also has ps2 keyboard support

Found it! I thought I've seen it somewhere, here is the site:
http://www.linusakesson.net/scene/craft/index.php
Warning: very 1980ish!

liudr:
Found it! I thought I've seen it somewhere, here is the site:
Craft
Warning: very 1980ish!

Yeah - that always comes up in these kind of discussions :wink:

thanks guys I'll bare it all in mind,
I've got an idea for my first project when my board eventually arrives from Fleabay
this project doesn't require a connection direct to an LCD but what it could do with dealing with is a video stream either carried by wifi or blue tooth from a mounted camera.
if possible 2 concurant streams.
Sorry if I'm begining to get anoying but will the arduino handle that?

todda:
but will the arduino handle that?

No chance whatsoever.
If you want video, arduino is not the way to go.

I thort as much, I can do it without and then add a second controller later to handle the video.
I'd rather it was seperate anyway as it will run smoother regardless of what its running on.