L297 stepper motor controller

Thanks guys!

I'm getting closer to actually trying to build this thing! Just a few more questions.....

I'm gonna start with this circuit....

I have a few simple questions....

1. Daniel - you recommended a 12V/2A power supply. I can only find basic AC adapters at maximum 1.2A. Could you give me a link to one like you recommend?? - I just didn't look properly - Forget this stupid question!

1. The diagram suggests using the L6210 which is a '2 schottky bridge motor controller'. This seems to be discontinued. Would you recommend another IC or is it cheaper to use seperate diodes?? Daniel suggested Schottky diodes. Can you give me a part number?? I have found so many different diodes. I don't understand how to select the appropriate one. Also, maybe I'm confused, but I was thinking, can I use the l293d instead of the L6210??

2. Daniel - you wrote 'Use an onboard regulator (7805) to provide nice clean power to the L297, and lots of bypass capacitors'. Does this mean that I need to use some capacitors with the 7805 or are they included inside the 7805?? If i do need to use the 7805 with some external capacitors, how do I wire it up??

3. Very simple one... Does 'Rs1Rs2=0.5ohms' mean that both resistors should equal 0.5 Ohms or that the total resistance of Rs1 and Rs2 should equal 0.5ohms??

Thanks for helping out a slow learning electronics geek wanabe! / Jonathan