VarSpeedServo - a modified Servo library with speed control

Korman:
Hi Mem,

it's nice to know, that you like it. Whether to add it to the main Servo-library should be considered carefully. From my point of view, you're welcome to add the code or any modification from it. However, please consider a few things first:

• The speed control adds more memory to the servo structure. It's just a few bytes, but in large setup with many servos, you should check if this causes problems
  • The speed parameter doesn't relate to any real time measure. It's just a number and you can set some speeds but others not. For many applications, like moving something at a pleasant speed to look at, this is good enough. If some specific speeds are necessary, the model I used might not offer enough granularity.
  • I didn't really check if the interaction of the position update and attach/detach works in a reasonable manner. What happens if one detaches the servo while on a slow move and then reattaches it?
  • The method-name slowMove is clumsy and not really in line with the rest of the rest of the methods
  • Some proper documentation and samples are also necessary.

In short, it was mostly a quick hack to get landing gears on model aircraft extend and retract at a more more realistic pace. Going by the general feedback, it seems to be of use for some applications. If you think part of my work is useful to be added to the main library, feel free to go ahead.

Korman

Hi Korman,

I agree with all your points. But this thread and the other one I linked below got me thinking about possibly adding a sweep function with user setable speed that I may be able to do using just one more byte of RAM per servo. I would be interested to hear if this is something that would be generally useful and will start a new thread to discuss this if enough people are interested.