Go Down

Topic: Waveshare e-paper displays with SPI (Read 62495 times) previous topic - next topic

kvik86

Oh no...
Silly me, this was my first time with an FPC connector. It looks like I selected a bottom type instead of a top connector type. By looking at it, it seemed like there is connection at the top. I wasn't aware it was bottom only type. Also after closing the copper on the display cable is completely hidden by the door mechanism.

ssozonoff

Hi Guys,

Just started experimenting with the GxGDEW0154Z04

I have seen this video Video where the seconds count is changing smoothly every second. Given the refresh issues of the 1.54" r/b/w display, can someone confirm that this is simply not possible with the 3 couler version.

I am simply writing text to the display using the display.println() method but it seems impossible to do so without going through the painfully slow screen flickering stage.

Thanks,
Serge

ZinggJM

Apr 19, 2018, 03:45 pm Last Edit: Apr 19, 2018, 06:56 pm by ZinggJM
@kvik86,

Good, this would have been hard to diagnose from distance, especially if I forgot in between that you made your own board.

Could you share with us a picture of your board, or even more details? Maybe someone else would like to reproduce it. How difficult was it to solder the 0.5mm spaced connections?

Jean-Marc

No personal message please; any question may be useful for other users. Use code tags for code. Make links clickable with URL tags. Provide links to the product in question.

ZinggJM

@ssonozonoff,

Yes, I can confirm that this is not possible with 3-color e-paper displays.
Black / white e-paper displays can do the screen refresh based on the difference to the previous display; this is used for partial update. 3-color displays don't use difference because of the physical method to move black and red particles based on speed difference, the red particles are bigger. Red particles move slower, but are moved by a lower voltage. Even with lower voltage, the black ones move also, and need be torn back with short pulses. This "requires" the fast flashes towards the end of the refresh.

Black / white e-paper displays usually also use flashing for full update, to "clear" the image from ghosting from previous images.

Jean-Marc
No personal message please; any question may be useful for other users. Use code tags for code. Make links clickable with URL tags. Provide links to the product in question.

kvik86

@ZinggJM

I'll get back in a few days after I got the fixed pcb.
The soldering was pretty easy. Having no contact at all explains everything.

Go Up